10. You may not vote on this poll
  • smeagals and the montdor:

1 10.00%
  • crownpullers and the zila .

9 90.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** Mfas IV - The Voyage Home **** round one **** level two ****

**** Mfas IV - The Voyage Home **** round one **** level two ****

Ladies and gentleman this is the first round of the level two of the more for a score comp we have been doing.

For those that may not have seen them before we do a comp every now and then when members ask for it been doing them from almost the start of IWL... so the plan buy a watch has to cost under £20 pounds ( or what ever your local currency is to that sum ) plus post (here most try to get the post as part of the £20 pounds - but did say a small amount was over look-able if not excessive )

Then you wait for them,and clean and fix them up if they need it and see whose one wins the most votes and they win a badge .. the glory ..bragging rights... etc etc

Ok first two pulled are :

smeagals and the montdor:

Using this as it suits my purpose l hope quartz will have to use movement elsewhere later ,on a baby pig strap
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-M...IT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

vs

crownpullers and the zila .

After much deliberation and thinking about last year's 'full restoration job'; I've decided to go the opposite end of the scale with the one that required/requires next to zero effort.
    Even though I prefer (visually) both the Avia & the Mira, they both need a bit of fettling and I figured it'd be more in keeping with the spirit of the game if I submitted one 'as bought'.
    So, after a rub down with a microfiber cloth; I present:

The ZILA

Purchased as one of a joblot of 6 for £18 (inc. P&P), it ran 'sweet' from the first wind. I've not put it on the Timegrapher yet but it's within a few seconds a day of my Zodiac (chronometer). It came on a Speidel expanding bracelet which is a bit 'yellow' for my liking but kind of goes with the watch; and it's at least wearable... though I probably won't very much.

There's not much to see around the back....

... until you remove the back:

... then it's rather attractive. I can't/won't pretend this wasn't a factor in my decision to submit this one. There's a couple of fine tool marks on it but otherwise as clean as can be.
    It's a FHF25 (identified by our competition host ) from circa 1950, and as mentioned above is running very well.

voting will be done as a view-able vote so those on tapacrap who want to vote can just say here and then when voting finishes will add those to the score on tallying up .. every one is welcome to vote whether they enter anything or not

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

First up from the draw again. So how come my raffle tickets are never first up when drawn ?
    After voting against the Montdor in favour of the Blandford in the previous round - My conscience is now clear.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    First up from the draw again. So how come my raffle tickets are never first up when drawn ?
    After voting against the Montdor in favour of the Blandford in the previous round - My conscience is now clear.
    yes plum amuse me that you hit first both levels but the picking is shear random as I ask the old folks to pick a number each and then those number's go up against each other

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

was a hard call to pick as would wear both came down to the shininess of the movements
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

In a way, these are comparable watches a quarter of a century apart. Minor brands, functional movements, some aspirations to quality with their goldiness. I might be wrong, but I can see them having a similar standing in the jewellers’ window.

I’ve previously voted for both, but I’m going to plump for the Zila. The period is more interesting, and it cost £3 (roughly speaking, as one of a joblot of 6 for £18).

Again, two watches that I would be happy to have in my collection so I want to vote for both. I do like an earlyish quartz, there's something honest about them. But I do like overly detailed second tracks around dial edges, so that's the Zila. But the Zila plainly says "ANTI-CHOC" on the dial, my wife would not take kindly to those words being placed together! But in the end the Zila did it for me, the second track and the condition of the movement just adding up enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    ... "ANTI-CHOC" on the dial, my wife would not take kindly to those words being placed together!
    Thanks for the chuckle, and thanks for the vote.

8. Likes Pip liked this post
    It's got to be the Zilla for me. It's just too good. In fact, you could call it a goodzilla.

If you had no shame

10. Likes Pip liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's got to be the Zilla for me. It's just too good. In fact, you could call it a goodzilla.

If you had no shame
    It deserves one of these: But: Saved by the pre-emptive 'sweetner' - Thanks for the vote.

ouch looks like ones a real hit but I suppose from the winner of the last few of these we would expect nothing less
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy