Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fliegerkronenschmerz

Blog Entries

Fliegerkronenschmerz

I likes me a flieger as much as the next WIS but I absolutely loathe fliegerkronenschmerz.

The symptom:

Name:  Fliegerkronenschmerz_small.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  57.5 KB

The culprit:

Name:  Culprit_small.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  58.3 KB

While crowns of this nature may be idiomatically correct for fliegers they are nonetheless a real flesh-render and as such should be consigned to the dismal corridors of the ignominious past.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

2. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    Ha! I have the steel Archimede and haven't had an issue at all. I can see how it could be irksome though.

ouch
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Silly question, could you just not wear the watch further down your wrist, past the bone? That would avoid that immediately

Another silly question, but considered a Bund?
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Watch scars?
    Now that's dedication!

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Silly question, could you just not wear the watch further down your wrist, past the bone? That would avoid that immediately
    Technically yes, I could. But I hate the way that feels. Whenever a watch inadvertently slides down my wrist it drives me crackers and I have to slide it back up. No idea why this is.

Bund straps are a non-starter because the extra leather adds too much thickness to the watch.

The ultimate solution is for all watchmakers to make all watches with 4:00 crowns. That way they can make the crowns as ridiculous as they like without mangling my wrist.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Another silly question: does that ickyness happen with steel watches, or could it be a skin reaction related to the bronze material only?
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

I ordered a Steinhart through a distributor with this Diamond crown... and returned it because the pictures I were shown had this type of crown:

Name:  1237279871NBU-Auto-A_2013_01.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  22.8 KB

which doesn't really help THAT much because it's extended on a tube, but at least it's not as pointy/sharp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Another silly question: does that ickyness happen with steel watches, or could it be a skin reaction related to the bronze material only?

Not a silly question at all. The 'ickyness' in question is a callous from repeated abrasion, and not contact dermatitis from exposure to hostile substances. The other watch that does this to me is my Sinn 856, which has a sharp edged and protuberant crown. By contrast my other bronzes (Kavenstmann Bathyal, Heroic 18 Bronze, and Maranez Bangla) cause no problems at all, having well behaved crowns.

Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

13. Likes popoki nui liked this post