Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch brands that used to be high end but aren't now

Here's another fine, American brand that's gone to obscurity--Waltham.

I heard that there was once a time when Invicta was once a respected watch company. But surely I was being lied to...

Quote Originally Posted by faiz31887 View Post
    I heard that there was once a time when Invicta was once a respected watch company. But surely I was being lied to...
    When you have to make payments on your watch, it must be a respectful piece.

Even if they are three easy payments of $19.99

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Yes, you do ... and because ... here's one I prepared, earlier:
    Attachment 18789
    A "no date"... perfect!
    Joe

Omega / Rolex / Oris / Citizen / Seiko / Alpina / G Shock

5. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    I'm not sure Longines was ever "high end" though in the day they were a highly respected full series manufacture on a par with Zenith and JLC. Their fortunes have certainly declined, while others have risen. But at least they occupy the same buildings now that they did then.

Rick "not a zombie brand" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    I'm not sure Longines was ever "high end" though in the day they were a highly respected full series manufacture on a par with Zenith and JLC. Their fortunes have certainly declined, while others have risen. But at least they occupy the same buildings now that they did then.

Rick "not a zombie brand" Denney
    Longines never really occupied this building, but it was a nice place to advertise.

8. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by faiz31887 View Post
    No, Invicta was a respectable company, making fine quality watches, going back to around the mid-1800's. They disppeared in the 1970's, and some marketing company rebooted the brand in the 90's with the...watches....and marketing schtick we know today.

Another great brand that has fallen from grace is Zodiac. Not a high-end brand (although they did make some very good watches: hi-beat SST, Astrographic, Aerospace GMT, and of course, the SeaWolf)), they finally died a long, torturous death in the late 90's/early 2000's, then eventually being bought by Fossil. The result is unfortunate history.

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; May 7, 2015 at 06:13 AM.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

10. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Omega
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Omega
    Uh oh.

14. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    No, Invicta was a respectable company, making fine quality watches, going back to around the mid-1800's. They disppeared in the 1970's, and some marketing company rebooted the brand in the 90's with the...watches....and marketing schtick we know today.

Another great brand that has fallen from grace is Zodiac. Not a high-end brand (although they did make some very good watches: hi-beat SST, Astrographic, Aerospace GMT, and of course, the SeaWolf)), they finally died a long, torturous death in the late 90's/early 2000's, then eventually being bought by Fossil. The result is unfortunate history.

~Sherry.
    I was recently reading up on the Zodiac SeaWolf. What a good watch! I learned that Fossil had re-issued the SeaWolf recently. Looked pretty decent to me? Not actually going so good?
    Last edited by scott59; May 7, 2015 at 08:00 AM.