Likes Likes:  2

Thread: I did the Ancestry DNA thing

I did the Ancestry DNA thing

I'm a little surprised.

Ancestry DNA map by Chuck Miller, on Flickr

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Blog Entries
    You are a brave one indeed! I do not want my "information" out there.

That said, I am 60, and if my lineage is not what I saw and was told, I guess I do not care to know differently.

So my question is you said you are a little surprised. Why? Did you think you were more Scottish/Swedish/etc.?

Dan

I expected at least some Italian. Not really sure why. I do tan well. LOL

I was adopted at birth and have zero knowledge of any blood ancestry so I thought this might be interesting.
    Last edited by chuckmiller; Aug 9, 2019 at 12:50 AM.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

4. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    I expected at least some Italian. Not really sure why. I do tan well. LOL

I was adopted at birth and have zero knowledge of any blood ancestry so I thought this might be interesting.

Well, presumably I was not adopted. Dad hails from Lithuania and Italy (where my last name Ravenna comes from). Mom from France and Austria. A real mutt am I. I've been show books tracing family lineage and where it ceased in WWII due to concentration camps.

That's what I grew up with. After all these years, I don't care to learn differently.

OTOH, one of my best friends was adopted, did the Ancestry thing, and after much effort, did hook up with his bio-dad. Bio-mom refuses so far. I am happy for him.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    You are a brave one indeed! I do not want my "information" out there.

Dan
    ^^^^this. I can totally understand it for someone who was adopted and has no information about their heritage, though.

It wouldn’t be a sensitive matter for me. What would it matter if people saw my DNA profile, whatever it was?

I can imagine it being potentially problematic in some parts of the world, at some points in history - but not generally.

8. Likes Jeannie liked this post
    There are family bibles that go back to the 9th Century on my Dad's side and the 13th Century on my Mom's. Both have well maintained family trees. I don't really care that much, but am pretty sure I am mostly Dutch. Pre-9thC my Dad's family may have bee Swedish. I like to joke that I might also have a little Spanish coffee in amongst all that Dutch dairy but I don't really care one way or the other.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.