Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone switched from Android to iOS recently? (random phone thoughts welcome)

Has anyone switched from Android to iOS recently? (random phone thoughts welcome)

I've got the new phone itch, and having been on Android for my last few devices (Galaxy Nexus, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) I'm tempted to go back to iOS (had a 3g and a 4S in the past).
    I had my hoped pinned on the Nexus 6p as my next phone, but some of the reports about spontaneous cracking of the glass on the back have me worried. The equivalent iPhone (6S Plus) is a bit more expensive but comes with the reassurance of Apple's generally excellent aftercare.

So, had anyone switched recently? If so how as it?

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I've got the new phone itch, and having been on Android for my last few devices (Galaxy Nexus, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) I'm tempted to go back to iOS (had a 3g and a 4S in the past).
    I had my hoped pinned on the Nexus 6p as my next phone, but some of the reports about spontaneous cracking of the glass on the back have me worried. The equivalent iPhone (6S Plus) is a bit more expensive but comes with the reassurance of Apple's generally excellent aftercare.

So, had anyone switched recently? If so how as it?
    I was forced to do this switch very recently. Cracked the screen on my work phone (Samsung s4) and only alternative allowed now was iPhone. Got a iPhone 6 Wednesday this week. This is my first ios device ever. Always been (and still is) an android proponent.

Switch still very early but to be honest it's been smoother than I anticipated. There are things that will take a while to get used to, like no fixed back button. I don't like the loss of control on ios. I like my freedom to do what I like and personalise. Some apps are better, some actually feel worse. You loose a bit of the Google experience (Google now much worse on ios, Gmail app horrible). Sharing between apps I really miss how smooth it is on Android. Also being able to set an app as default for certain actions and not be forced to use the ios default.

Voice control better on ios. Especially on languages other than English (not important for you though I guess ).

Performance wise I really think there isn't a big difference anymore in the high end. Battery life seems a wash as well. Camera the same. It's more to do with the eco system today (The Google experience works a lot better on Android). And how important the ability to customize is.

I'd forgotten about the sharing thing...Android does that so well

Forgot about notifications. Not a fan of how it's handled on ios. Really like the ability to just swipe them away on Android. If I've read but don't want to act on them.

On ios I'm forced to swipe and then press x to dismiss it. It's better than it was earlier, but android still leaps ahead in my book. However ios does it well in determining how and what apps can send notifications. Easy to customize on an per app basis.

5. Likes whatmeworry liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Forgot about notifications. Not a fan of how it's handled on ios. Really like the ability to just swipe them away on Android. If I've read but don't want to act on them.

On ios I'm forced to swipe and then press x to dismiss it. It's better than it was earlier, but android still leaps ahead in my book. However ios does it well in determining how and what apps can send notifications. Easy to customize on an per app basis.
    Notifications are good on Android....
    Sounds like what I really need is for Apple to do a BlackBerry, go to the verge of bankruptcy and then make an Android device.
    Is that likely to happen?

Might get an android as well to use privately, but it seems every android phone has one or two negatives that prevents me from wanting it. Not a single one that is the complete package. If it's not lacking NFC, then the battery is bad or the camera or it's missing fingerprint reader.

Blog Entries
    I'm a big Apple guy. I've had Android tablets in the past, and from what I've seen of their current phones, they're fine, but there's nothing there to tempt me away.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I'm a big Apple guy..
    Thought you lived in Philly?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Thought you lived in Philly?!
    I know you're not from around here, but don't even joke about that. New York.....psh.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

11. Likes Seriously liked this post
    It must be hard being an American and not living in New York