Likes Likes:  64
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TV you just can't stand

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    programmes

Oh? Programs? No - Google says I'm right.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Oh? Programs? No - Google says I'm right.
    You and your countrymen don't deserve my language. Or as you'd probably spell it, launguauggggce.

Face it, "programme" is practically French. I'll give you guys catalogue, dialogue, and speciality, but I draw the line at colour and programme.

(For anyone who may take this seriously, it's meant to only be about one quarter serious)

It's programmes you watch on the good ole telly (what what!), you run programs on a computer

5. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Weird how the land of the free, the nation of democracy, has been happy to uphold the diktats of one spelling nazi

Well, most of them
    Last edited by Der Amf; May 8, 2015 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    You and your countrymen don't deserve my language. Or as you'd probably spell it, launguauggggce.

Face it, "programme" is practically French. I'll give you guys catalogue, dialogue, and speciality, but I draw the line at colour and programme.

(For anyone who may take this seriously, it's meant to only be about one quarter serious)

Look, as a favour, pay up the back taxes, say sorry and throw in a nice pot of tea and we'll let you back under the wing of the commonwealth.

(For anyone who may take this seriously, it's meant to only be about three quarters serious)

8. Likes Jeannie, ljb187 liked this post
    Hang about what are the forum rules? Isn't it, "No discussion of relijunn politx Invictas Jeremy Klarxon and spelling"?

10. Likes Nokie, I-B liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    (For anyone who may take this seriously, it's meant to only be about three quarters serious)
    Seriously ??

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    In this world today, why accept any situation where you're expected just to accept a flow of pseudo-information passively? Every piece of information you're likely to get out of a tv or radio already exists online, where it will be presented more accurately, more soberly, more completely etc etc - if you want to know it, much better to go in search of it yourself. Occasionally you get a tv/radio programme which isn't total rubbish - and the chances are that whoever is behind it has written a book on the subject, which will cover the same ground but in far greater depth, and without patronising you terribly.
    The problem with the internet is one of transparency and curation. The only reason that a more sober etc version exists on the internet is that every possible version and standard exists. The trick is to spot the quality in a yawning maelstrom of credible sounding bullshit. That takes an education which naturally involves all the issues that you have already highlighted. I'll take a well curated library with well understood biases over a universal demonstration of the absolute truth of the Dunning Kruger hypothesis which has been deliberately set up to feed back so as to polarise our choices and make it easier to sell us shit.

Give me a neutral search engine and a the cognitive resources not to be nudged and manipulated in ways I barely grasp while ubiquitous data collection ensures that I am not sovereign in knowing myself and I'll admit the internet is better than the beeb, Until then...

Every time I hear the BBC attempting to deal with any subject which I know a lot about, I'm horrified by how inane / inaccurate / cynical what they come out is. Eventually I got the hint.