Likes Likes:  59
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SO good when they're back home!

^^^ Thanks for that.
    My knowledge of Zodiac has just increased dramatically
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

2. Likes Seriously liked this post

SO good when they're back home!

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post

Thanks, Jane! I like both the strap and bracelet as well, but the strap is mostly for winter wear.

Zodiac had four coloured dots they used on different lines in the late 80's and early 90's sports watches: Red Point, Silver Point, Gold Point, and Blue Point. There seems to be some confusion as to what the colours meant (and in which direction), but they referred basically to:
    Red Point: Professional Sports Watches
    Silver Point: Professional Diver's Watches
    Gold Point: Elegant Sports Watches
    (Blue Point) = "Ultra-resistant Professional Diver's Seawolf
    Some say the Blue Point (used exclusively for the SeaWolf) was the top (quality) of the Zodiac lineup, others say the Red Point was the top. The Gold Point certainly was the most elegant and dressy-looking of all the models. I've even heard rumours that the dot (of any colour) was like a bit of litmus paper; it was supposed to change colour if moisture got inside the case, but I'm pretty sure that's just some story someone cooked up.
    And, just to make things even more confusing, not all Zodiac sport watches used the dot system.

~Sherry.
    Pretty much exactly what I expected.

Kind of like those logic games: "All sports watches are high end. All high ends are red dots, unless they're blue dots. Therefore, all dress watches are red dots. Unless they aren't. "

That clears it up, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes popoki nui, Seriously, CFR, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Pretty much exactly what I expected.

Kind of like those logic games: "All sports watches are high end. All high ends are red dots, unless they're blue dots. Therefore, all dress watches are red dots. Unless they aren't. "

That clears it up, right?

Exactly! Maybe there is someone on IWL who knows more than I about the dot system, and will chip in with more accurate info.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

6. Likes mlcor liked this post
    And that is the reason why we need more than 1 watch. Plus, by the time the watch comes back from a service (especially those complete service), the costs and time taken would make us feel we have just gotten ourselves a new watch. A bonus - if it takes longer than usual to return, another great reason to buy another watch.

So, it's a good thing.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes popoki nui, CFR, mlcor, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post
    And that is the reason why we need more than 1 watch. Plus, by the time the watch comes back from a service (especially those complete service), the costs and time taken would make us feel we have just gotten ourselves a new watch. A bonus - if it takes longer than usual to return, another great reason to buy another watch.

So, it's a good thing.....
    I like everything about this post! Excellent logic. This should be a sticky.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

10. Likes Nutty28, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Exactly! Maybe there is someone on IWL who knows more than I about the dot system, and will chip in with more accurate info.
    No, that'll be you - good info My knowledge of these and this brand went from 0 to level 6a solely from this thread

I like the way the case hugs your wrist and it looks great on that brown strap.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

13. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    No, that'll be you - good info My knowledge of these and this brand went from 0 to level 6a solely from this thread
    Well, thanks; I've been a Zodiac fan for a long time, but I'm no expert. I do know they're a brand with a long history, going back to the 1880's, and were more-or-less independently family-owned and run up until around the late 1980's, even surviving the "quartz crisis" quite well. When the finally lost traction, Willie Gad Monnier (who had then-recently departed TAG Heuer) took over. You can see a little 90's TAG design influence in my Zodiac. He didn't do much better, selling the brand to Robert Gennender in the late 90's, who pretty much gutted Zodiac keeping only a few models (mostly quartz) and then Fossil bought the remains, and ......

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I like the way the case hugs your wrist and it looks great on that brown strap.
    Thanks! It's a nice size overall: 36mm diameter, and only 9mm thick. Not bad for a true dive watch.

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; May 10, 2015 at 12:32 AM.

15. Likes JAGtime, Seriously liked this post
    Sweet Zodiac Sherry! not only it look beautiful, but the use of top grade ETA2824-2 is a great plus! did you know it use top grade eta before the service?

hang out in the forum like this make me droll for so many gorgeous watch... i used to be happy with screwback square G-Shock, and thought it's the only watch i need hehehe..
    (practically it is the only one i NEED, the rest is simply all i WANT)

thanks for sharing Sherry.. like the other said, it look stunnin' on you

17. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime, scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Sweet Zodiac Sherry! not only it look beautiful, but the use of top grade ETA2824-2 is a great plus! did you know it use top grade eta before the service?

hang out in the forum like this make me droll for so many gorgeous watch... i used to be happy with screwback square G-Shock, and thought it's the only watch i need hehehe..
    (practically it is the only one i NEED, the rest is simply all i WANT)

thanks for sharing Sherry.. like the other said, it look stunnin' on you
    Thanks, Iyonk. I knew it had an ETA 2824 inside, but I didn't know which version. I assumed it was just the standard grade.

19. Likes iyonk liked this post