Likes Likes:  7

Thread: What do we know about LIP watches (modern, not vintage)?

What do we know about LIP watches (modern, not vintage)?

I'm interested in who owns the brand, where they are made, what the build quality is if anyone handled them in person etc? TIA.

Name:  LGIM0108.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  406.7 KBName:  LGIM0110.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  368.1 KBName:  LGIM0113.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  234.9 KBName:  LGIM0125.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  219.4 KBName:  LGIM0127.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  321.5 KBName:  LGIM0112.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  396.6 KB

Had high hopes on thier T18 re-issue. Dial amazing , different look on every view , stunner. Case ok but sharp corners. Crown too big, caught on the flexing wrist enough to pull out and stop. Great pity as such a/or could have been classic re-make of an icon. Got rid, but still like the idea , just needs a proper version.
    Some Lip are really eye catching. No longer from Besancon

http://watchesz.free.fr/mfa/lip_au_pays_des_soviets.htm

Yuri link btw

3. Likes rodia77, CFR liked this post
    Owned by this company, by the look of it -

http://www.mgh-watches.com/fr/

I’d guess that the watches are made in Asia. I owned one for a while -

Name:  016589BC-1BE3-4EF8-8F67-CE8291809942.jpeg
Views: 147
Size:  63.2 KB

It was a remake of their ‘General de Gaulle’ watch. There was nothing wrong with it, but it felt a bit lightweight and insubstantial.

5. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIP_(company)

Unsure , but , may have gone past their works during the last years

7. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    "In 1960, faced with competition from the United States and Japan, the company in difficulty went from social plan to capital recovery, finally succumbing to "Made in China". Today and since 2015, LIP seeks to regain its noble status by focusing on the quality of its timepieces and favouring an assembly made in France." [Translated from an article in Mr Montre - Dec. 2018]

Edit: To be fair, it all sounds too much like empty marketing talk, though.

Maybe we should ask Monsieur Emmanuel Macron. He was seen wearing one LIP (quartz).
    Last edited by CFR; Aug 25, 2019 at 12:46 AM.

9. Likes rodia77 liked this post

What do we know about LIP watches (modern, not vintage)?

My understanding of modern LiP is that they make auto and quartz reissues of the watches of their glory days: the tanks, the futuristic Roger Tallon stuff, the CDG and the fabulous compressor LiP Nautic Ski

As to quality, I’ve not handled one

Reno, a French guy on WUS Affordables has commented that LiP also do catalogue watches - the sort you get free as an introductory gift for signing up to something, in a magazine, or perhaps as a company business gift

Not sure if there are two tiers of quality, or if manufacturing costs are the driver of quality throughout
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

11. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    You can buy them at a lot of shop's in France. I have handled a few while in Nice. Build quality seemed quite good but I did not want to pay the expense for a quartz at the time, and the automatic was out of my range then. As 0hDark30 said Reno has a vast collection I believe. Here's the one I was looking at the gd model.

Billy super duper

13. Likes rodia77 liked this post