Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Thursday - 5 September 2019 »»»»»»»»»

««««««««« WRUW - Thursday - 5 September 2019 »»»»»»»»»

Good day, IWL.

Name:  Omega Speedy_pro31b.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  117.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Introducing a rather old watch, a Gruen 21 jewel hand wind, which my sister and I recovered from our parent's estate and I took in for service. (There were a few others, mostly pocket watches that I let my sister take as I knew I wouldn't wear them. She'll probably service them and display them.) This was my grandfather's on my mother's side, probably from around 1930 but I haven't quite figured a date yet. The case is 14k gold and in very good condition, the dial looks better in person than in photos, as the patina and scratches aren't as obvious in normal view. I probably spent more for service and repair than the gold would be worth melted down, but that's not how this works.

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

'morning IWL

Speedbird III thingy - early morning sunshine as I arrive at work

Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post

It's a very cool watch, Robert. It deserves to be worn again.

6. Likes skywatch, Strela167, Seriously, Spooky, Greg liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    It's a very cool watch, Robert. It deserves to be worn again.

Thank you! I feel a bit sentimental about these antique little machines. I enjoy letting them live as they were designed, to be worn and telling time, not sitting in a case or a bank box somewhere. I also repaired a little Gubelin ladies' watch that belonged to my grandmother, which my wife is wearing today, and serviced two of my own elderly little machines along with the batch. It wasn't cheap, alas, but worth it for the good feelings.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

8. Likes CFR, Seriously, OhDark30, Pip, Greg liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Thank you! I feel a bit sentimental about these antique little machines. I enjoy letting them live as they were designed, to be worn and telling time, not sitting in a case or a bank box somewhere. I also repaired a little Gubelin ladies' watch that belonged to my grandmother, which my wife is wearing today, and serviced two of my own elderly little machines along with the batch. It wasn't cheap, alas, but worth it for the good feelings.
    I know what you mean. These little machines seem to have a life of their own, a life worth preserving.

10. Likes skywatch, Pip liked this post
    Grand Seiko SBGR053 ¦ Nomos Tangomat Datum ¦ ​Tudor Pelagos ¦ ​Grand Seiko SBGA011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  IMG_0334.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  84.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.