Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** More for a score - Grand final winner ****

**** More for a score - Grand final winner ****

After weeks of members looking and buying watches and then having them compete against each other in weekly competitions we have come down to the last watch standing and the winner ( 3 times now I think ? ) and (will be looking at doing a new badge for that ) it is crownpuller and the zila so well done that man the prize will be posted out Monday ( just trying to find a gold buckle as have include a new un-used ant allergic strap that came with out a buckle so might have to send with out one ) the badge will follow in the next few days once design is done.

Name:  DSCF5229.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  121.3 KBName:  DSCF5234.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  43.6 KB

Well done the zila. and thanks for all who voted and enter the competition you all did wonderful with the choice's made

As always Ismy

crownpuller and the zila .

After much deliberation and thinking about last year's 'full restoration job'; I've decided to go the opposite end of the scale with the one that required/requires next to zero effort.
    Even though I prefer (visually) both the Avia & the Mira, they both need a bit of fettling and I figured it'd be more in keeping with the spirit of the game if I submitted one 'as bought'.
    So, after a rub down with a microfiber cloth; I present:

The ZILA

Purchased as one of a joblot of 6 for £18 (inc. P&P), it ran 'sweet' from the first wind. I've not put it on the Timegrapher yet but it's within a few seconds a day of my Zodiac (chronometer). It came on a Speidel expanding bracelet which is a bit 'yellow' for my liking but kind of goes with the watch; and it's at least wearable... though I probably won't very much.

There's not much to see around the back....

... until you remove the back:

... then it's rather attractive. I can't/won't pretend this wasn't a factor in my decision to submit this one. There's a couple of fine tool marks on it but otherwise as clean as can be.
    It's a FHF25 (identified by our competition host ) from circa 1950, and as mentioned above is running very well.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes skywatch liked this post
    oh and can the winner p,m his address as can't find it
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

First and foremost: Many thanks to ISMY for putting this together (again) and keeping it going week after week. Your efforts are truly appreciated.
    Secondly: Thanks to all the other entrants for some 'solid' competition and some very interesting 'pick ups'.
    .... and of course: Thank you to all who voted for the Zila through all the rounds.

On a personal note: I get a real kick out of these competitions, and not just because I've done well in them; I love seeing what 'we' can come up with for minimal outlay and some of the acquisitions have been fabulous. We've had all sorts: Manual winders; automatics; Quartz analogues; ana-digis; LED; LCD.... can't remember if we had an auto-quartz Anyhoo; the point is there's a huge variety to be had for peanuts with a bit of hunting... and that's the most fun part for me; even if it gets a bit stressful when approaching the deadline with nothing to enter.... which I've done a couple of times.
    Just noticed when doing the above list that there have been no jump hour entries (have there ?)..... Maybe I should try for one of those for the next one.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

my pleasure
    think rob had a jump hour but had to pull out as it was shot I think
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Copious congratulations to Crownpuller!

Again!

I backed him from the moment he came into the parade ring.

7. Likes crownpuller, is that my watch liked this post
    I have to say that the irony of a Chjinese watch as a prize - given the last round - absolutely tickles me pink. As ever, Ismy's good humoured mastery of the competition is a major part of what makes it fun - Surely he needs a 'ringmaster' badge or something like it, as he always keeps the show on the road. I think Crownpuller has to be acknowledged as demonstrating that winning is clearly not a fluke. Every time he manages to find and fettle something that, by the end, is the obvious winner and that takes enviable skill and judgement. That his entries are always to well presented and brilliantly described probably doesn't hurt.

Roll on next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I have to say that the irony of a Chjinese watch as a prize - given the last round - absolutely tickles me pink. As ever, Ismy's good humoured mastery of the competition is a major part of what makes it fun - Surely he needs a 'ringmaster' badge or something like it, as he always keeps the show on the road. I think Crownpuller has to be acknowledged as demonstrating that winning is clearly not a fluke. Every time he manages to find and fettle something that, by the end, is the obvious winner and that takes enviable skill and judgement. That his entries are always to well presented and brilliantly described probably doesn't hurt.

Roll on next time...
    have made a badge for crownpuller being a three time winner just got to see if we can make it smaller and keep the picture clear so that will be down to geoff to do
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Congratulations crownpuller a well deserved win . I thought it was the best even though I had a vested interest in the other entry. Also a big thankyou to ismy for once again sorting it all out , there is a lot of behind the scenes work going on.

Billy super duper

11. Likes is that my watch, crownpuller liked this post
    found a good pic of the hologram

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

13. Likes DJW GB, Matt liked this post
    I have to say that the irony of a Chjinese watch as a prize - given the last round - absolutely tickles me pink.
    Indeed, it occurred to me that it would have been rather fitting for the prize to go to a Chinese watch entry, and I'd have had no qualms had that been the case. It's a lovely thing in fantastic condition.

As ever, Ismy's good humoured mastery of the competition is a major part of what makes it fun - Surely he needs a 'ringmaster' badge or something like it, as he always keeps the show on the road.
    I'll second the motion for a 'ringmaster' badge for ISMY.

I think Crownpuller has to be acknowledged as demonstrating that winning is clearly not a fluke. Every time he manages to find and fettle something that, by the end, is the obvious winner and that takes enviable skill and judgement. That his entries are always to well presented and brilliantly described probably doesn't hurt.
    I'm generally not comfortable taking compliments, but I'll take that any day. I'm flattered. Thank you.

Roll on next time...
    Well, allow me to wallow in my glory for a while longer before starting again.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

15. Likes DJW GB, Matt liked this post