Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reefer madness

Reefer madness

Any other reefers out there?

I've recently rediscovered the hobby after about fifteen years out. Wow, the game has moved on. The captive-culture scene and the equipment, sure, but the knowledge (and the access to the knowledge) is a world away.

I kidded myself that I'd be happy with a few discus in a freshwater tank but that turned out to be way to easy (nice price-wise, though).

Anyway, this has been keeping me busy since January.

I feel I should send a "thank you" to Omega and Rolex for thoughtfully not releasing anything at Basel which might have diverted the funds I've been using.

Anyone else into this stuff?

2. Likes Churchy, ljb187, bu11itt, FuzzyB, BlackNomad, hayday liked this post
    Well, that was unexpected.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Lol

I'm not into the OP photo hobby whatsoever (apart from gazing at them when I visit the dentist) , but it sure looks cool , lighting colour etc

Actually I think the dentist has got rid of his tank
    Last edited by Seriously; May 13, 2015 at 09:37 PM.

5. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    Wish I had the space, living in central London you have to budget for fridge space.
    The idea of having an tank of any kind has always been a wish of mine. But a friend has a couple of 500mm cube tanks that always fascinate me when I visit.
    I did get scared off any kind of fish keeping when on a job once I met a guy who had spent six months trying to get a tank to the right Ph and temp to support a particular type of reef fish.

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Well, that was unexpected.
    I know, right?

You were totally expecting this thread to be about these, weren't you?

Name:  reefer_trailer.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  55.5 KB

8. Likes geoffbot, CanadianStraps, Chase liked this post
    Kh and Calcium are the hard part. I'm amazed at how much simpler that stuff seems this time around, though.

Having said that, it might not be for you if you aren't the type to waste hours of your life collecting arcane knowledge about a niche hobby from internet fora.

Oh waitaminute....! :-)

10. Likes hayday, T Bone, Churchy, Chase liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I know, right?

You were totally expecting this thread to be about these, weren't you?

Name:  reefer_trailer.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  55.5 KB
    Yeah....that's it.

I used to have tanks at home, although nothing as fancy as in the OP. I liked keeping fish, but it was way too much work for the time I had to devote to it. Maybe one day, I'll try it again.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

12. Likes Henry Krinkle, geoffbot liked this post
    I had a 55-gallon reef tank for several years, with fishes and corals and all kinds of critters I couldn't see because they were hidden in the nether regions of the rocks, but it crashed a coupla years ago and I haven't done much since with the big glass box of water in my living room. I think I'm going to get it running again this summer once school gets out. I'm a teacher and can focus on little else until May 22.

The technology has changed dramatically in such a short time. I'm pretty excited to see what all is out there now.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Its always a pleasant surprise to find something you were not expecting in a thread.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Had a goldfish in a bowl when I was a kid . That's about it, always been fascinated with others tanks and their hobby ecosystems, but threat of disease and general fussiness of them seemed too much. Looked into it a few times, but am content to view the fish in the wild when scuba diving or visit friend's tanks.

My Brother In Law had a nice set up for decades, two large tanks connected by a couple of tubes. Eventually though, somehow ick was introduced and all the fish died. Not sure what happened to the corals, but he got rid of the whole rig when they moved South a few years ago.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!