Likes Likes:  1,092
Page 281 of 286 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,810 of 2851

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

I'll try a gentleman in Moscow as long as there's no humour at all...
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I specifically edited all humor out, just for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Raza, geoffbot liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Funnily enough, I'm re-watching WW as well, still in the good seasons...

Let's see. It's dated, like most shows of its era, but how about Boston Legal? The first four seasons at least are good, William Shatner and James Spader are hysterical together. It gets weird and not so good after (I think) season four, but until then it's quite good IMO. On Hulu, I believe.

I know you said no medical shows, but have you ever seen House, with Hugh Laurie? It's not so much a medical show as an in depth look at a high functioning but deeply troubled individual in a job with power and responsibility they shouldn't have despite their capabilities. The show isn't terribly realistic in that his character would have lost his license and/or ended up bankrupt/in jail pretty quickly, but still kind of interesting. On Amazon.

Oh, and even though I'm not a huge comedy fan (unlike Mrs. Cor), just started the second season of Kim's Convenience on Netflix, and it is excellent.
    Oh yeah, I was a huge House guy back in the day. The show falls apart after a few seasons, when the writers just didn’t know how to keep topping themselves, so it just got more and more ridiculous, but those first 3-4 seasons were really good.

I used to watch The Practice when I was young, which I believe is the show Boston Legal spun off from, but I never gave Boston Legal a chance because I’ve never been a big Spader fan and Shatner when he’s not Kirk is like…I don’t know, a vicar in a tutu. You look at him and you’re like “That’s not a ballerina, that’s the vicar!” Apologies to The Smiths, I know that’s not the point of the song, but that’s where my mind went. I could give it a try, though. Worst thing that happens is that I don’t like it and watch something else.

And, oh my, Kim’s Convenience. I love that show; I’ve never seen any show that shows a more realistic depiction of Asian family dynamics. And this is especially interesting, because it’s not a family over helicoptering parents with overperforming children; since it’s a Canadian show, they’re not saddled with the weight of being the model minority, so they’re just presented as people who happen to be Asian—contrast this with, say, Fresh off the Boat, where the youngest son is being groomed by the overbearing mother to be Doctor President some day, the rule-following middle child is adored by all women and is also good at school, and Eddie is a freakish abnormality for not doing well in school and liking rap music and cooking. Both are products of time and place, with FOTB being in Florida in the 90s and Kim’s being in Toronto now, so they’re accurate in their own ways, but the FOTB depiction is much closer to what I’m used to seeing on TV as stereotypically Asian. Kim’s and Ted Lasso got me through the pandemic.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

6. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    You’ve been in Dubai too long, mate. Your people are famed for thinking they’re better at humor than anybody else.

Somebody get this man a James Acaster special, stat!
    Push 40cc of Jimmy Carr.
    He’s flatlining, get me some Ricky Gervais…and throw him in the hazardous waste bin, here’s some Russell Howard.
    His sense of humor is dead, doctor. Call it.
    Fine, let’s have sex with each other and hope no one notices, but someone is definitely going to see us and the secret will spread like wildfire until it comes to a dramatic conclusion!

^^^^I just wrote the next hit medical drama

8. Likes hayday liked this post
    You do have a detailed knowledge of British comedy…

How far back do you go? Peter Cook, Beyond The Fringe?

10. Likes Raza liked this post
    I've noticed there's not much British/Irish stand-up in Netflix. James Acaster is ok, but Jimmy Carr is a bit too much for me.

Luckily Apple podcasts and YouTube offer loads from Andy Zaltzman, Robin Ince, Dave Gorman, Mark Steel, John McCausland, Miles Jupp, Hugh Dennis, John Oliver, Dara O'Briain, Neil Delamere, Ed Byrne, etc.
    And sometimes even Frankie Boyle.

12. Likes tribe125, Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    So, I’m finishing up one of my favorite shows ever, The West Wing. I previously had never seen the crappy 7th season, but I decided that I was going to finish the show’s entire run this time instead of tapering off around season 4 or 5 like I normally do. Season 7 is so incredibly disappointing, but I’m almost done.

And once I am done, I’m going to need another show to put on in the mornings while I’m getting ready and answering emails and the like. Anyone have any ideas? Here’s what I’m looking for:

Long series run; been loving British shows lately, but in 7 seasons, they only muster a total of 12 episodes, so that hardly buys me any time. I’d love at least 3 seasons
    Can’t be crappy; it doesn’t have to be a great show, but it can’t be absolute garbage
    No police procedurals. CSI, NYPD, L+O, NCIS, L+O:CI, L+O:SVU; I’ve seen them all and I’ve seen enough
    No medical shows. “This person’s sick! Now they’re not! Or they died! Let’s all sleep together!” There. I did every medical show.
    Available on a streaming service that I have (kind of goes without saying, I know)

The only exception to the last two rules would be Medical Police, which I definitely recommend for fans of Childrens Hospital, but also only ran for one season (Geoff, avert your eyes, it’s a comedy).
    Maybe give Sneaky Pete a go it's three seasons I think it meets your carefully crafted criteria and Giovanni Ribisi and Bryan Cranston are great in this

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

14. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    You do have a detailed knowledge of British comedy…

How far back do you go? Peter Cook, Beyond The Fringe?
    Not as far back as Peter Cook, apparently. I grew up on a few of the 1970s shows, like Fawlty Towers and Are You Being Served?, with a few dashes of Keeping Up Appearances and Ab Fab as I got a little older. Monty Python, of course. I got back into British comedy on my own later when I started watching Top Gear, I would see what guests I like and then seek out their shows. Now Taskmaster is doing that for me, so I’ve been following up on a lot of British actors and comedians I’ve seen on Taskmaster. It’s why I gave The Cleaner a chance, despite the subject matter (crime scene cleaning) being rather off putting. Glad I did, I ended up really liking the show.

16. Likes Fantasio, tribe125 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    I've noticed there's not much British/Irish stand-up in Netflix. James Acaster is ok, but Jimmy Carr is a bit too much for me.

Luckily Apple podcasts and YouTube offer loads from Andy Zaltzman, Robin Ince, Dave Gorman, Mark Steel, John McCausland, Miles Jupp, Hugh Dennis, John Oliver, Dara O'Briain, Neil Delamere, Ed Byrne, etc.
    And sometimes even Frankie Boyle.
    I adore Hugh Dennis. My precious Desky. I’d only ever seen him in Fleabag before, then he became one of my all time favorite Taskmaster contestants.

I listen to podcasts a lot myself, but in the mornings, I do like a more visual component, usually. It’s odd, I know, but it makes me feel like isolated, in my room, doing work, if I can see people, even if they’re just on a screen.

Jimmy Carr can indeed be a bit much sometimes, but I do find him amusing at times.
    Last edited by Raza; Apr 24, 2024 at 01:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifico66 View Post
    Maybe give Sneaky Pete a go it's three seasons I think it meets your carefully crafted criteria and Giovanni Ribisi and Bryan Cranston are great in this

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I remember seeing ads for that years ago and thinking it looked interesting. I’ll add it to the list!