Likes Likes:  1,087
Page 9 of 282 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post

American football players hit each other much, much harder than rugby players do.
    Oh I don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Oh I don't know....

He wasn't talking about fighting (which happens in the NFL too), but the hits in the course of play (blocking, tackling etc.). TBH, in that clip you posted, it looks like a tackle consists of pushing/pulling the player down. Blocking seems to be almost non-existent. By contrast, check this vid I found in a quick search on NFL hits...
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Well, I was being facetious there.

That clip was Rugby League, where an important element of tackling is not just getting the man down but keeping him down.

In Rugby Union in the last couple of decades the emphasis has moved from getting the guy down on the ground to halting his progress. Here's a collection of tackles from an English player who played in what had traditionally been the playmakers position, the equivalent of quarterback. I don't believe there's any shortage of intensity here. Certainly we can be sure that if he had been able to hit them harder, he would have

http://<a href="http://youtu.be/ZzOG...zOGpWbv1-o</a>
    Last edited by Der Amf; May 28, 2015 at 07:14 AM.

My favorite show of all time, and my wife's, is Friday Night Lights. It's more about characters than it is football, but I do love football.

Current shows
    - Daredevil
    - Suits: It's getting long in the tooth. How about ditching Mike and having the Harvey Spector show?
    - Flash
    - Wayward Pines: I hope this one doesn't go sideways on me

Old shows
    - Friday Night Lights
    - 24: First two seasons only
    - Lost: first season only
    - Veronica Mars
    - True Detective: Very dark but really amazing.
    - White Collar
    - Justified

Zone out shows
    - Community
    - Archer

5. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    The Flash is on now? How'd I miss that? Oh yeah, Tuesday night. Regular plans with a buddy....never mind that, I have a DVR. And streaming video. Will get caught up ASAP! Thanks for the heads up.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    My favorite show of all time, and my wife's, is Friday Night Lights. It's more about characters than it is football, but I do love football.

Current shows
    - Daredevil
    - Suits: It's getting long in the tooth. How about ditching Mike and having the Harvey Spector show?
    - Flash
    - Wayward Pines: I hope this one doesn't go sideways on me

Old shows
    - Friday Night Lights
    - 24: First two seasons only
    - Lost: first season only
    - Veronica Mars
    - True Detective: Very dark but really amazing.
    - White Collar
    - Justified

Zone out shows
    - Community
    - Archer
    I loved Community. Then I hated it, because it had fallen so far. Then I loved it again, because even though it had fallen so far, I liked the characters.

Have you seen the new season on Yahoo Screen? I'm a few episodes in, it's really good again. Abed has been scaled down, he's less obsessed with being meta and the writers don't focus on his tired schtick nearly as much. And the new character additions (Paget Brewster and Keith David) have worked out really well.

Also, True Detective is coming back. There's a new season soon (new cast).

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I loved Community. Then I hated it, because it had fallen so far. Then I loved it again, because even though it had fallen so far, I liked the characters.

Have you seen the new season on Yahoo Screen? I'm a few episodes in, it's really good again. Abed has been scaled down, he's less obsessed with being meta and the writers don't focus on his tired schtick nearly as much. And the new character additions (Paget Brewster and Keith David) have worked out really well.

Also, True Detective is coming back. There's a new season soon (new cast).
    For all it's ups and downs I do really like the people on Community. I've only seen two episodes of the recent season on Yahoo, but I'll watch them all.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    The Flash is on now? How'd I miss that? Oh yeah, Tuesday night. Regular plans with a buddy....never mind that, I have a DVR. And streaming video. Will get caught up ASAP! Thanks for the heads up.
    Excellent series. Loved every episode.

The Arrow after I've watched all the Continuum episodes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    For all it's ups and downs I do really like the people on Community. I've only seen two episodes of the recent season on Yahoo, but I'll watch them all.
    The first ep was weak...very Abed heavy and the same meta crap that got them cancelled in the first place. Then it got really good. I'm 7 episodes in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ro63rto View Post
    Excellent series. Loved every episode.

The Arrow after I've watched all the Continuum episodes.
    Arrow was really good...first season was excellent. But it's gone really downhill. I hope they can recover next season.