Likes Likes:  1,057
Page 277 of 277 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277
Results 2,761 to 2,763 of 2763

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

Blog Entries
    Two and a bit episodes of Reacher in and, well, it’s interesting, to say the least. I’m enjoying it, and I’m definitely watching much worse shows currently (I mean, I’m still watching Halo and that is probably the worst show I’m watching and it is very, very bad; it’s like they took all the criticism about the slow story, the brooding, the lack of action, and the poor CGI in some instances and said “Hey, if we make the scenes darker, people won’t be able to tell how bad the CGI is, but everything else is okay, right?”).

I have noticed a few things about Reacher though. One, almost everything they’ve said about firearms in the show is wrong. Just factual errors, like stating a certain grain is subsonic in a certain caliber (when the weight is so light, it would basically guarantee supersonic speeds) or that suppressors make accurate marksmanship very difficult. Now, this may be outdated accurate information based on the book, but I don’t know when the book was published. Older suppressors used a system called “wipes” that would slow the bullet down to negate the supersonic crack, but modern suppressors using baffling chambers to slow the expansion of gases and actually lead to a faster muzzle velocity that firing without a suppressor, so accuracy shouldn’t really be affected once the user accounts for the extra weight at the front. But it also has a Secret Service agent tracking down counterfeiters as part of his job as a Treasury agent, which, of course, the Secret Service hasn’t been a part of the Treasury Department for 20 years now, even thought they may still investigate large scale counterfeiting operations.

But, the lead is charismatic enough for a wall of muscle so overborne by his own ability to pick things up and put them down that he very visibly seems physically incapable of reaching into his own pockets and the mystery, while very much “Oh that’s the bad guy” as soon as you see him, is thus far compelling enough to keep going. Still better than Terminal List. Dads, your next Dad TV experience might just be here.

Seriously, some of writing needs work. Exchanges go a bit like this.
    “I’m a cop and I’m wondering if you’re the bad guy.”
    *finishes strangling tiger cub* “Well, no, I’m not the bad guy, definitely not. You definitely shouldn’t investigate me and if you do, I can’t control what could happen to you.”
    ”That seems like kind of a bad guy thing to say.”
    “Come on, don’t make me say it with the hard R.”
    Last edited by Raza; Mar 20, 2024 at 06:09 AM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

2. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Totally agree. I will also try episode two because of her, but I thought the pilot was pretty wretched. It’s going to have to get a LOT better quickly…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After Mare of Easttown, I realized not even Kate Winslet’s powers are enough to overcome a bad script.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Two and a bit episodes of Reacher in and, well, it’s interesting, to say the least. I’m enjoying it, and I’m definitely watching much worse shows currently (I mean, I’m still watching Halo and that is probably the worst show I’m watching and it is very, very bad; it’s like they took all the criticism about the slow story, the brooding, the lack of action, and the poor CGI in some instances and said “Hey, if we make the scenes darker, people won’t be able to tell how bad the CGI is, but everything else is okay, right?”).

I have noticed a few things about Reacher though. One, almost everything they’ve said about firearms in the show is wrong. Just factual errors, like stating a certain grain is subsonic in a certain caliber (when the weight is so light, it would basically guarantee supersonic speeds) or that suppressors make accurate marksmanship very difficult. Now, this may be outdated accurate information based on the book, but I don’t know when the book was published. Older suppressors used a system called “wipes” that would slow the bullet down to negate the supersonic crack, but modern suppressors using baffling chambers to slow the expansion of gases and actually lead to a faster muzzle velocity that firing without a suppressor, so accuracy shouldn’t really be affected once the user accounts for the extra weight at the front. But it also has a Secret Service agent tracking down counterfeiters as part of his job as a Treasury agent, which, of course, the Secret Service hasn’t been a part of the Treasury Department for 20 years now, even thought they may still investigate large scale counterfeiting operations.

But, the lead is charismatic enough for a wall of muscle so overborne by his own ability to pick things up and put them down that he very visibly seems physically incapable of reaching into his own pockets and the mystery, while very much “Oh that’s the bad guy” as soon as you see him, is thus far compelling enough to keep going. Still better than Terminal List. Dads, your next Dad TV experience might just be here.

Seriously, some of writing needs work. Exchanges go a bit like this.
    “I’m a cop and I’m wondering if you’re the bad guy.”
    *finishes strangling tiger cub* “Well, no, I’m not the bad guy, definitely not. You definitely shouldn’t investigate me and if you do, I can’t control what could happen to you.”
    ”That seems like kind of a bad guy thing to say.”
    “Come on, don’t make me say it with the hard R.”

The books go back a ways so current ballistics don't apply(I've been reading the entire series). Also note, cell phones are not in the earlier books yet are a big part of the shows. Most shows and movies get the gun related things wrong. Current ammunition verses just five to ten years back are completely different.

Most current gun reviews leave off suppressors since they enhance accuracy or provide data suppressed and unsuppressed. Your explanation of old verses new suppressors is on point. The biggest thing the studios get wrong is the sound and level of sound suppression. You can uses a subsonic 22 LR with a suppressor and it is fairly quite, but not the hushed pop that the studios present. Go to a 223/5.56mm (which is basically a high power 22), and even subsonic it's not that quite suppressed. Suppressors limit the flash and cut down the noise to the point that hearing protection is optional. As caliber goes up so does the sound level even with subsonic ammo. On a suppressed 22 LR you will hear the various mechanism noises which you may or may not hear when out of the room. Closing a bolt and other noises guns have when you dry fire them (not recommended on a 22LR) will still be present as the action cycles,
    Last edited by Samanator; Mar 20, 2024 at 05:57 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

5. Likes Sedi, Raza liked this post