Likes Likes:  772
Page 218 of 222 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 2211

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

  1. #2171
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    21,681
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the writers and actors on Better Call Saul just mailed in the last few episodes? I thought they were disappointingly flat and uninspired. Also thought the ending was a complete bust. A great show with a really blah finish.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I disagree. While I found a couple of the episodes towards the end to be not what I wanted from the show, I thought the ending was fantastic. One of the best series finales I’ve ever seen.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

  2. #2172
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I disagree. While I found a couple of the episodes towards the end to be not what I wanted from the show, I thought the ending was fantastic. One of the best series finales Iíve ever seen.
    Oh, well, weíll agree to disagree. Iíll grant you it was a very realistic ending in terms of real life, but not what I would have hoped for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #2173
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    21,681
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Oh, well, we’ll agree to disagree. I’ll grant you it was a very realistic ending in terms of real life, but not what I would have hoped for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know, I initially felt the same way, but this is the conclusion I drew after talking it out:

    SPOILERS FOR BETTER CALL SAUL. I’m serious, this is the ending of a brilliant series. If you haven’t seen it, look away.


    Still looking? Come on, it’s about to get real.


    Initially, I was disappointed. Of course, Jimmy was an excellent lawyer and when he was Saul he was a pretty good criminal as well. So that sweetheart deal he made, he absolutely earned it. He won. He beat the system. But then after he found out about Kim’s peril, it changed. He killed Saul Goodman in the courtroom and in the process, saved Kim. But he still got that sweetheart deal. He proved he could win. Doesn’t matter that he threw the deal away to protect Kim, because he already won. No need to lift the trophy, the scoreboard said he won. And by confessing the way he did, he won again, because his last act as a free man was to save the only person in the world who ever loved him for who he was. Jimmy self destructed over Chuck’s death—while I don’t think he was as culpable as he did, because, let’s face it, Chuck was a sanctimonious piece of shit who actively sabotaged and hurt Jimmy whenever possible, even over the death of their mother—taking his guilt out on anyone else who even expressed a modicum of their own guilt, which led, of course, to the numerous attacks on Hamlin and Hamlin’s eventual murder, albeit inadvertent. In that seemingly spontaneous confession, he unburdened himself of guilt, protected Kim from Hamlin’s widow, and proved just how good of a lawyer he was. He’ll spend the rest of his life in a prison where the prisoners worship him as their savior, but he became Jimmy McGill again in that courtroom. So not only did he get to win, he got to win twice. I thought it was beautiful and fitting. When I think of sťries finales that both fit the series tonally and narratively and are satisfying as well, this one is up there with The Shield series finale.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

  4. #2174
    SPOILERS CONTINUE in my response, so continue to look away if you need to.

    I get all that, but I thought it was too pat an ending for Jimmy to reform at the last minute. Given his fundamental makeup, I don't think his character would have been capable of such an instantaneous turnaround. What also bugs me is that he initially was going to throw her under the bus, too, and since she had already confessed, not sure that his throwaway recant in front of the judge was even relevant. I mean, still no physical evidence against her, and the only corroboration is from a known felon and con man? I think she still would have been perfectly safe. And he was smart enough to know that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    You know, I initially felt the same way, but this is the conclusion I drew after talking it out:

    SPOILERS FOR BETTER CALL SAUL. I’m serious, this is the ending of a brilliant series. If you haven’t seen it, look away.


    Still looking? Come on, it’s about to get real.


    Initially, I was disappointed. Of course, Jimmy was an excellent lawyer and when he was Saul he was a pretty good criminal as well. So that sweetheart deal he made, he absolutely earned it. He won. He beat the system. But then after he found out about Kim’s peril, it changed. He killed Saul Goodman in the courtroom and in the process, saved Kim. But he still got that sweetheart deal. He proved he could win. Doesn’t matter that he threw the deal away to protect Kim, because he already won. No need to lift the trophy, the scoreboard said he won. And by confessing the way he did, he won again, because his last act as a free man was to save the only person in the world who ever loved him for who he was. Jimmy self destructed over Chuck’s death—while I don’t think he was as culpable as he did, because, let’s face it, Chuck was a sanctimonious piece of shit who actively sabotaged and hurt Jimmy whenever possible, even over the death of their mother—taking his guilt out on anyone else who even expressed a modicum of their own guilt, which led, of course, to the numerous attacks on Hamlin and Hamlin’s eventual murder, albeit inadvertent. In that seemingly spontaneous confession, he unburdened himself of guilt, protected Kim from Hamlin’s widow, and proved just how good of a lawyer he was. He’ll spend the rest of his life in a prison where the prisoners worship him as their savior, but he became Jimmy McGill again in that courtroom. So not only did he get to win, he got to win twice. I thought it was beautiful and fitting. When I think of sťries finales that both fit the series tonally and narratively and are satisfying as well, this one is up there with The Shield series finale.

  5. #2175
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    21,681
    Blog Entries
    5
    So, they recently added Barney Miller to Prime streaming and I’ve been absolutely in heaven since. It was one of my sick day shows when I was a kid, like Hogan’s Heroes, Gilligan’s Island, and the Andy Griffith Show. Obviously, as a kid, I didn’t understand everything that was going on, but Abe Vigoda and Hal Linden were hilarious still. And now, as an adult, the show is even funnier. And for 1975, it’s wildly progressive. I’ve been selling it to my fellow millennial friends as the “proto-Brooklyn 99”. Love it.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

  6. Likes hayday liked this post
  7. #2176
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    So, they recently added Barney Miller to Prime streaming and Iíve been absolutely in heaven since. It was one of my sick day shows when I was a kid, like Hoganís Heroes, Gilliganís Island, and the Andy Griffith Show. Obviously, as a kid, I didnít understand everything that was going on, but Abe Vigoda and Hal Linden were hilarious still. And now, as an adult, the show is even funnier. And for 1975, itís wildly progressive. Iíve been selling it to my fellow millennial friends as the ďproto-Brooklyn 99Ē. Love it.
    Added to my recuperation list. Always liked that show.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Likes Raza liked this post
  9. #2177
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    21,681
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Added to my recuperation list. Always liked that show.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should be set. 170 episodes!
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

  10. Likes mlcor liked this post
  11. #2178
    Hall Monitor Samanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    8,936
    Just finished the current season on Apple TV + For all Mankind. I've really enjoyed it so far and highly recommend.
    Cheers,

    Michael

    Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

  12. #2179
    El bot. geoffbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    22,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Just finished the current season on Apple TV + For all Mankind. I've really enjoyed it so far and highly recommend.
    Ooh Sci fi I'll try that
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

  13. #2180
    Hall Monitor Samanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    8,936
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Ooh Sci fi I'll try that
    If you have not watched it don't let the first two episodes in season 1 stop you. It is a roller coaster from there. This is from the critics. I've found it so engaging from the start and one of the most original concepts in TV or film in a long while.
    Cheers,

    Michael

    Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

  14. Likes geoffbot liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us