Likes Likes:  1,089
Page 282 of 284 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284 LastLast
Results 2,811 to 2,820 of 2836

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

Blog Entries
    I looked at Sneaky Pete, that might be an evening show, which I’m also looking for, so still a good suggestion. Right now, I’m leaning to re-watching Grimm in the mornings, which, I know, is technically a cop show, but it’s a supernatural show where the guy happens to be a cop, so it’s not really about cop stuff, even though they do cop stuff. There’s no thin blue line BS here, it’s essentially Buffy, but what if Buffy became a cop and was a floppy haired man with a redhead girlfriend with whom I am very smitten (Elizabeth Tulloch, shame she married floppy hair in real life), Boston Legal, or even going back to The Practice. A possibility is also rotating the three shows. Another thought is to just go back to oldie, but goodie, Star Trek: The Next Generation. I “watched” it all the way through for the first time at work, largely listening to episodes while streaming them in a minimized window. As a show that is basically just talking, it didn’t really matter if I saw what was going on visually, even the action sequences are mostly talking and standing around. Another good one to have on while answering emails and the like.

But I’m still open to suggestions.

For evening shows (a time in which I’m paying more attention and am happier to watch more nuanced shows that I haven’t seen before), I’ve got Sneaky Pete. The Big Door Prize came back yesterday, I’m excited about that, but it won’t last long, I already watched two episodes last night, a third has been released, then it goes weekly, and they’re only half an hour each. I also finished the first season of Reacher. It was…as I expected. The people who betrayed him were who I expected, though some of the logic fixes they had to do while updating an old novel didn’t quite make sense (SPOILER: For example, counterfeiting old 100s because it’s a simpler process than newer ones is actually a really bad idea, since moving that much old currency that’s scheduled for destruction is sure to catch the Treasury Department’s eye, everyday more old bills are taken out of circulation, and an operation that big is flooding the market with counterfeit 100s in a design that shouldn’t be there, precisely because they’re easier to counterfeit). I’m not sure if I’ll keep going with this one. It’s in a weird spot where it’s not quite good enough for me to truly enjoy it and not bad enough for it to become a hate watch (like, say, Halo, which is so awful, I’m honestly mesmerized by how bad it is in relation to how much it must have cost). But I think I’ll give the second season a go, at least.
    Last edited by Raza; Apr 25, 2024 at 03:38 PM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I looked at Sneaky Pete, that might be an evening show, which I’m also looking for, so still a good suggestion. Right now, I’m leaning to re-watching Grimm in the mornings, which, I know, is technically a cop show, but it’s a supernatural show where the guy happens to be a cop, so it’s not really about cop stuff, even though they do cop stuff. There’s no thin blue line BS here, it’s essentially Buffy, but what if Buffy became a cop and was a floppy haired man with a redhead girlfriend with whom I am very smitten (Elizabeth Tulloch, shame she married floppy hair in real life), Boston Legal, or even going back to The Practice. A possibility is also rotating the three shows. Another thought is to just go back to oldie, but goodie, Star Trek: The Next Generation. I “watched” it all the way through for the first time at work, largely listening to episodes while streaming them in a minimized window. As a show that is basically just talking, it didn’t really matter if I saw what was going on visually, even the action sequences are mostly talking and standing around. Another good one to have on while answering emails and the like.

But I’m still open to suggestions.

For evening shows (a time in which I’m paying more attention and am happier to watch more nuanced shows that I haven’t seen before), I’ve got Sneaky Pete. The Big Door Prize came back yesterday, I’m excited about that, but it won’t last long, I already watched two episodes last night, a third has been released, then it goes weekly, and they’re only half an hour each. I also finished the first season of Reacher. It was…as I expected. The people who betrayed him were who I expected, though some of the logic fixes they had to do while updating an old novel didn’t quite make sense (SPOILER: For example, counterfeiting old 100s because it’s a simpler process than newer ones is actually a really bad idea, since moving that much old currency that’s scheduled for destruction is sure to catch the Treasury Department’s eye, everyday more old bills are taken out of circulation, and an operation that big is flooding the market with counterfeit 100s in a design that shouldn’t be there, precisely because they’re easier to counterfeit). I’m not sure if I’ll keep going with this one. It’s in a weird spot where it’s not quite good enough for me to truly enjoy it and not bad enough for it to become a hate watch (like, say, Halo, which is so awful, I’m honestly mesmerized by how bad it is in relation to how much it must have cost). But I think I’ll give the second season a go, at least.
    I thought Reacher season 2 was about as good as season 1, which is to say, watchable if there’s no better alternatives on the current list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes Samanator, Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I finished Fallout. Honestly, way better than it has any right to be, I’m nothing but impressed by it. And I started out as the biggest skeptic, because I think Jonathan Nolan is a hack who wishes he was JJ Abrams, who is probably an even bigger hack, but luckily, while Nolan and Joy are directing, they’re not writing. Nolan has said himself that he hates the process of writing and his showing with Westworld really showed that. Shame, really, his movie writing credits are quite impressive.

5. Likes Samanator liked this post
    The first couple of episodes of Parish made me dubious, even with Giancarlo Esposito, but it's getting better. The cast also has Paula Malcomson, Skeet Ulrich and Bradley Whitford. Worth a try, but it's on AMC/AMC+, which is a road less traveled...

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    The first couple of episodes of Parish made me dubious, even with Giancarlo Esposito, but it's getting better. The cast also has Paula Malcomson, Skeet Ulrich and Bradley Whitford. Worth a try, but it's on AMC/AMC+, which is a road less traveled...
    6.7/10 hmmn
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

8. Likes pacifico66 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    I wanted to start something more contemporary, production-wise, and watched the first episode of The Queen's Gambit -- jawdroppingly good, I want to both binge it and save for as long as possible at the same time! (7 episodes in total only)
    Finished tonight. Seven episodes spread over eight months, saving and savouring a TV series never felt better!

10. Likes Samanator liked this post
    I've been swapping between two older USA network shows that I watched when they first aired. White Collar and Covert Affairs showed that in that point in time USA had some of the best shows IMO on TV.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I've been swapping between two older USA network shows that I watched when they first aired. White Collar and Covert Affairs showed that in that point in time USA had some of the best shows IMO on TV.
    I really enjoyed White Collar, minus the series finale. Never watched Covert Affairs, though.

I don’t know if people can be doing with subtitles, but ‘Prisoner’ (Danish) was very good. Sofie Gråbøl was excellent in the lead role.

Gråbøl was also the lead in ‘The Killing’ - also Danish. The other terrific scandi-noir of recent times was ‘The Bridge’ (Danish/Swedish) with the mesmerising lead character played by Sofia Helen.

Saturday night, pizza, red wine… scandi-noir - it’s almost a European cultural tradition, but I don’t know if they’ve made it across the water to the USA. I like them, and the critics seem to like them too. ‘Prisoner’ is actually a little different in not being a murder/investigation thing.

14. Likes Fantasio, rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I don’t know if people can be doing with subtitles, but ‘Prisoner’ (Danish) was very good. Sofie Gråbøl was excellent in the lead role.

Gråbøl was also the lead in ‘The Killing’ - also Danish. The other terrific scandi-noir of recent times was ‘The Bridge’ (Danish/Swedish) with the mesmerising lead character played by Sofia Helen.

Saturday night, pizza, red wine… scandi-noir - it’s almost a European cultural tradition, but I don’t know if they’ve made it across the water to the USA. I like them, and the critics seem to like them too. ‘Prisoner’ is actually a little different in not being a murder/investigation thing.
    The Killing was great (at least the 1st couple seasons, I don't remember if I even finished it.)