Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Time and Tide - 7 fun facts I discovered at the Seiko Museum

Time and Tide - 7 fun facts I discovered at the Seiko Museum

Editor's note: Seiko is a brand with a pretty incredible history. And a lot of this history goes under the radar, to be honest. Which is why, when Sandra visited Tokyo last year we strongly suggested she make a detour to Seiko's Museum. Here's what she learned … If you're ever in Tokyo, I strongly recommend making time for a detour to Sumida. Where? A residential area north of Tokyo Skytree a bit of a backwater, to be honest. Why? For the Seiko Museum. Even if you're not particularly a Seiko fan, it's full of horological discoveries. And if you weren't a Seiko fan before, you probably will be afterwards. Here are just a few of the many*reasons why: The name Seiko's founder, Kintaro Hattori, started his business in 1881; about a decade later, he opened his own factory naming it Seikosha. The museum guide told me that Seiko is the Japanese word for "precise". Wadokei seasonal clocks Until 1872, timekeeping was based on seasonal variations, rather than the "fixed hours system" we are familiar with where the length of a day is divided into equal portions, or hours. The "seasonal time system" used in Japan…

The post 7 fun facts I discovered at the Seiko Museum appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...

I love that old logo, font and spacing (on the three dials) in the pic above
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869