Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On a chronograph roll of late...Tudor 42000

There is one model of the Blackshield I've liked as well. Let's see some wrist shots!

My AD invited me for the local presentation of these new models. It seems that the ceramic cases were a nightmare to produce consistently and they still have a high rejection rate, but the final result is quite impressive, I liked the model with the "gold" accents and brown strap but I also found the legibility a bit compromised. Still, a great watch with a tried and tested movement. Congrats, Mikey.

Like the red dial and on that strap it looks very comfortable.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Congrats!
    I really like the looks on this chrono, but can't pull off this size. I wish Tudor started making these in 38-39mm.

OT, but I didn't know that drster was one of the "good" dealers. I did not have a good experience when I tried to deal with him last year.

Damn you r on a roll.Congratulations

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

I wasn't too sure about it in the illuminated shots but I love it in natural light. Congratulations Mikey! I love the monobloc ceramic cases. Rado's been doing them for a while now. The detailing on them can be quite amazing.

rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I wasn't too sure about it in the illuminated shots but I love it in natural light. Congratulations Mikey! I love the monobloc ceramic cases. Rado's been doing them for a while now. The detailing on them can be quite amazing.
    Cheers hank.
    Any idea what the rejection rate of rados cases are like?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    Cheers hank.
    Any idea what the rejection rate of rados cases are like?
    I haven't a clue Mikey. Rado doesn't like to talk about things like that and I haven't heard any rumours. Keep in mind that Rado has been using/making ceramic cases for more than fifty years.

Do you have any idea why Tudor is rejecting so many cases?

This is just speculation on my part, but it might be too much ceramic. The most hideous Rado ever, the Xeramo, had a lot of problems with bracelet links failing. It was foudn that the big hunk of ceramic was causing stress n the structure of each link. The monobloc Rado cases are quite a bit more "delicate" than that Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I haven't a clue Mikey. Rado doesn't like to talk about things like that and I haven't heard any rumours. Keep in mind that Rado has been using/making ceramic cases for more than fifty years.

Do you have any idea why Tudor is rejecting so many cases?

This is just speculation on my part, but it might be too much ceramic. The most hideous Rado ever, the Xeramo, had a lot of problems with bracelet links failing. It was foudn that the big hunk of ceramic was causing stress n the structure of each link. The monobloc Rado cases are quite a bit more "delicate" than that Tudor.
    not a single clue..maybe C might have some inkling??
    here's something I lifted from tudor

Here is a little from Tudor on the case:
    The TUDOR Fastrider Black Shield’s monobloc case in matte black ceramic is an archetype in its genre. What makes it so special? Not only is it fashioned using nothing but high-tech injected ceramic – not ceramic applied to another material as a coating – but it is also made entirely in one process. The whole case is produced as a single piece – a unique operation for watches in this segment. In addition to the noble aesthetics of this chronograph, the extremely complex procedure adopted for its manufacture – a result of technological expertise acquired in perfecting the bezel for the Pelagos line – ensures that both the middle case and bezel are exceptionally reliable and resistant.

TUDOR develops for the first time a case completely fashioned in high-tech injected ceramic. The whole case of the Fastrider Black Shield is produced as a single piece – a unique operation for watches in this segment. The ceramic is virtually impervious to scratches, and its color is unaffected by ultraviolet rays. The result is, naturally, quite out of the ordinary, powerful and unique. The manufacture of the bezel and the case is carried out in-house. The brand has installed the exclusive equipment required to perfectly master the quality of the final product in conformity with its stringent specifications. The basic ceramic material is a very fine zirconium dioxide powder, whose particles are less than one micron (one-thousandth of a millimeter) in diameter. The powder, white at the outset, is mixed with both a binding agent that allows it to be moulded and pigments that will give the final desired color. The raw material is shaped by high-pressure moulding. At this point, it has very low resistance. The components are then heat treated in furnaces. The first stage eliminates the binding agent. From the second firing at 1,500 °C (2,700 °F), or sintering, the ceramic
    acquires its definitive hardness and mechanical resistance. Its resistance after the sintering is akin to that of steel, but its hardness is much greater. During firing and sintering, the piece contracts by approximately 25 percent and acquires its final color. Final precision machining gives each piece its definitive shape and size for assembly. As the material has now acquired its characteristic hardness, this operation requires the use of diamond tools. Throughout the production process, the ceramic undergo numerous quality controls to check the precision of their geometry, their mechanical properties and their color. In addition to the noble aesthetics of this chronograph, the extremely complex procedure adopted for its manufacture ensures that both the middle case and bezel are exceptionally reliable and resistant.

the xeramo is pretty billy oddy indeed