Likes Likes:  487
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: $$$$$$$ WRUW Friday May 15 $$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    See, while I like a well stocked bookshelf as well, I wonder if I would read more often if I had a Kindle - ease and convenience. Most books I would take out of the library, I would not want to own anyway. I think you partially sold me, Temp.
    Our local library just started lending ebooks via the online catalogue which has increased my Kindle usage. While I have a number of bookcases around the house and love the real thing I have to say I do like the ease of use of a Kindle. Debating buying a newer model with the backlight at the moment, my missus likes the lights out when she goes to sleep so I'd be able to read longer without disturbing her using a backlit version.
    One of the main benefits I find is the ability to take many more books than you could ever read with you on holiday, downside is that we've lost what had become a tradition, a library raid prior to a family holiday to stock up on relaxing reads!
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

2. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy250 View Post
    my missus likes the lights out
    Redacted POTD

Quote Originally Posted by muddy250 View Post
    Our local library just started lending ebooks via the online catalogue which has increased my Kindle usage. While I have a number of bookcases around the house and love the real thing I have to say I do like the ease of use of a Kindle. Debating buying a newer model with the backlight at the moment, my missus likes the lights out when she goes to sleep so I'd be able to read longer without disturbing her using a backlit version.
    One of the main benefits I find is the ability to take many more books than you could ever read with you on holiday, downside is that we've lost what had become a tradition, a library raid prior to a family holiday to stock up on relaxing reads!
    I just got Mrs. Fuzzy a kindle Paperwhite and she loves it. She had been using a first generation kindle until it gave out recently. She refused to upgrade because she didn't want one without the physical page turn buttons, but she used my kindle with the touchscreen for a while after her kindle died and found it wasn't much different. Now she loves the Paperwhite even more than the original.

Our local library has an extensive kindle lending library, so we read almost exclusively on our kindles now.

I was a holdout for years and ignored my kindle for the first couple years but now I have a hard time going back to a hardback.

5. Likes gnuyork, muddy250 liked this post
    Out of town all weekend, with only two watches. The 1901 A.K. Jobe Hamilton 940 in a salesman's display case (for a discussion with a Jobe who turns out not to have any known connection to A.K.) and the Ebel Le Modulor for a bit of subtle intimidation at the chess board. I won tonight, but I don't think the watch had anything to do with it. I spent 4 hours driving today, so these are re-cycled photos. One difference - the Ebel bracelet has been resized and not fits perfectly.

The A.K. Jobe mystery continues - the dial shows (only under strong direct light) the ghost of a name and brotherhood markings (O.R.T.) that I now believe were painted on the original A.K. Jobe dial and then removed (wore off?) - leaving a subtle change in the glaze. My sources tell me that *all* A.K. Jobe dials show this and *none* still have the brotherhood markings in place. I'd be most pleased to find a counter-example! I'm also looking for any and all historical information on A.K. Jobe and his stores in Water Valley, Miss. and Jackson, Tenn. (both locations are noted on the movement) Rumor has it that there is an intersection in Jackson, TN still known as "Jobe's Corner".

One still wonders how Ball allowed this logo to exist. Today, it would be an instant lawsuit over trademark. But, Jobe did buy a lot of watches from Hamilton, and Ball was closely associated with Hamilton - so it just might have been "authorized". But, I haven't seen any documentation.

Alas, the Tennessee Jobe here with me today has no knowledge of any of this. He did like the watch, though. So, the pocketwatch will stay in the hotel room for the rest of the weekend and I'll just have to settle for 3 consecutive days with the Ebel. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Name:  AKJobeFront.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  115.4 KBName:  AKJobeDisplayBack.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  132.3 KBName:  Ebel137-27_March_2015.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  106.7 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.