Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **** Thinking Omega's again ****

**** Thinking Omega's again ****

Well starting to feel an itch but still down sizing my collection giving a few away and might put some on the bay soon to generate some new watch money been looking but nothing wowing me of late one of the reasons of my down sizing my collection, i'm of a mind now where I can see a small well defined collection .( oh will always be buying my tat lots thou but thats just to keep be sane - it's my release is to try and fix old watches then flip ) got a few in place a seiko 66 /rado /citizen chrono/cwc etc.

Would love an omega nothing fancy prefer slightly bashed so I could just enjoy with out worry of damaging it . mean if damaged already plus it will be a learning curve like say my Russian collection I had to learn from my mistakes same with rado. so looking lower end omega even possible quartz and meca quartz

So any ideas thought tips experience would be fun to read.

As always ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    The world is full of lovely old Omegas - that turn out to be 33 or 34mm.

Personally, I don’t know enough about the calibres - and more importantly, the parts availability - to take a punt on zero reputation internet sellers. Maybe I would find a gem, but it’s more likely that I would waste my money. Ideally, I’d want to see the watch in person, and I’d want a seller that would resolve potential problems. On top of that, I’d want a local face-to-face watchmaker for service and repairs.

Put all that together, and I’d find myself out of the ‘few hundred, take a chance’ bracket. Which is a shame, because a local antiques shop always seems to have a dozen affordable examples. I suspect the dealer knows nothing about them at all and picks them up from a wholesaler. They might have had ‘just enough’ attention to get them into a saleable condition.

In other words, I think the lower end of the market is a bit of a minefield. It would take a bit of luck, or a lot of expertise, to end up with something that could be a no fuss daily wearer.

don't mind the 34mm been tempted with a couple that was 30mm and 32 mm. it always gets me how cheap ladies omega go for seen some under a ton good con and kosher but as new to them I will probably only looking to spend £150 to £200 on my fist so as not to risk to much my thinking we all would probably risk that on a mirco brand so why not with vintage
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    we all would probably risk that on a mirco brand so why not with vintage

Cant argue with that.

been looking not much on the bay now normal when skint would see loads ,

think might look at hybrids kinda like the 70's ones
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

2 Omegas: 60s Seamaster and Speedy Reduced

Saw both before buying, in an antiques market and a Cash Converters. Like Alan, I’d definitely want that naked eye quality check before buying

The Seamaster was the most successful purchase: I’d admired the clean elegance of these models, and finding this one with a machined dial, in a safe buying environment made this an easy decision (I picked up the Tudor Oyster Prince I also sold to Robert at the same time :-)

The Speedy less so. I was like:
    ‘A Speedy in red box? In Cash Converters?! In Bletchley?! For how much??’

Mobile reception was poor as I tried to google it. And I bought it

Great watch. Legit. But not such a bargain
    And, while a grail, not *my* grail

Service costs and having a good (quality, sensible price) watchmaker on hand would definitely weigh into the decision if I was doing it again. The place I used (high end vintage) has closed

Neither were really planned purchases, and I hadn’t done any movement research, in contrast to my usual way
    In the shark-infested waters of vintage Omega, I was lucky to get away with it

Both also ended up being more money on the wrist than I was happy with - if I was going for the Seamaster vibe now I’d go with vintage Certina, or same period Raketa

So go careful, Is, and good luck with your hunt :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    been looking not much on the bay now normal when skint would see loads ,
    Wondering if it’s seasonal and there’ll be more in the run up to Christmas

Thinking of hands on, there’s 2 places on Corporation St that carry vintage Omega :-)

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post

2 Omegas: 60s Seamaster and Speedy Reduced

Saw both before buying, in an antiques market and a Cash Converters. Like Alan, I’d definitely want that naked eye quality check before buying

The Seamaster was the most successful purchase: I’d admired the clean elegance of these models, and finding this one with a machined dial, in a safe buying environment made this an easy decision (I picked up the Tudor Oyster Prince I also sold to Robert at the same time :-)

The Speedy less so. I was like:
    ‘A Speedy in red box? In Cash Converters?! In Bletchley?! For how much??’

Mobile reception was poor as I tried to google it. And I bought it

Great watch. Legit. But not such a bargain
    And, while a grail, not *my* grail

Service costs and having a good (quality, sensible price) watchmaker on hand would definitely weigh into the decision if I was doing it again. The place I used (high end vintage) has closed

Neither were really planned purchases, and I hadn’t done any movement research, in contrast to my usual way
    In the shark-infested waters of vintage Omega, I was lucky to get away with it

Both also ended up being more money on the wrist than I was happy with - if I was going for the Seamaster vibe now I’d go with vintage Certina, or same period Raketa

So go careful, Is, and good luck with your hunt :-)
    thanks

ant in a rush I do these threads occasionally got close last time then think I bought the rado mastrioni or was it the seiko 66 tried the Russian route and think when I tried the certina route got them from you

so will one day when my gut says thats ok ... but prices seem all over the place was looking at constellations for fun mean some of the pie pans can vary so much in price mean like from £800 to £2200 it's confusing so just one to put a toe in the water at the minute find most of the time with my good buys just being in the right place at the right time helps.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Wondering if it’s seasonal and there’ll be more in the run up to Christmas

Thinking of hands on, there’s 2 places on Corporation St that carry vintage Omega :-)
    yeah never thought of town been ages since been to town probably last time was with you.

don't like ad thou they seem to have snooty staff remember going in to one in the new bullring and the looks I got if I had the money would not of bought from them any way
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Fair enough

Both these are one-off vintage jewellers/watches:

Rex Johnson at no 8, Roberts at no 29