Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: **** Thinking Omega's again ****

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post

The Seamaster was the most successful purchase: I’d admired the clean elegance of these models, and finding this one with a machined dial, in a safe buying environment made this an easy decision (I picked up the Tudor Oyster Prince I also sold to Robert at the same time :-)

Happy to have this one along with the Tudor - Thank you Kath! i must admit I have had several vintage Omegas over the years, and sold them on in various fits of downsizing. I think my lesson over time has been that vintage Omegas aren't necessarily better than vintage other brands, because there were many really good brands back before the quartz crisis. One of my favorites for sheer quality vs. modern price is Longines - they were near the top in their day. Another is Hamilton until the mid-late '60s. We make the mistake of conflating the modern brand identity with the past brand quality. They simply don't map in a linear way.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    what do we make of this ?
    I say: Avoid !

In addition to previously mentioned flaws: I'm reasonably certain that Omega never printed the word 'GENEVE' all in capital letters.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I say: Avoid !

In addition to previously mentioned flaws: I'm reasonably certain that Omega never printed the word 'GENEVE' all in capital letters.
    so I guess my guts doing all right at the minute
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

what do we make of this ?

Please, stay away, Ismy.

The watch should look like this

Name:  omega-vintage-geneve-omega-ot-14703-list.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  31.0 KB
    That dial is a horrible mess - catastrophic redial - despite the correct movement (562) and serial number for an Omega Geneve of that age.

6. Likes is that my watch, OhDark30 liked this post
    thanks mate

just looking for the minute as selling watches to cover any buys (and have issue's with that got problems with the buyer of my luminoxs starting to despair with the bay and their buyer's ) so my funds might even be less if I have to refund them so yeah my thought is any I find interesting will up here to see views on them and see if I am picking up on the same things

and I am sorta doing ok ish I knew that it was off but not sure how

but got to be honest when it comes to vintage I might still go for something if price keenly enough happens a lot in Russian watches but if they look nice and are at a realistic price might look... mean kinda like the gold on it but at think £190 I would not touch it .. been £80 might have done
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes CFR liked this post
    how easy to get parts for omega's and are they always pricey as looking at one now with winder / stem issues ..

It was last serviced in 2014 ( receipt available) but the winder broke some months ago, prior to which it kept good time.

so depends if just need a new stem or it's the movement that has issues so be a movement swap ? is it worth doing ? would be doing it myself
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Details on the movement, please.

I would if I could bad pics / just front and back shots feels and looks kosher it.s a de ville looks early maybe actually think am going to pass think maybe missing the second hand and the dial has been touch up so will show sellers pic as not going for it maybe

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

should it not say something under omega like automatic ? think their was a two hander but had a auto movement ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I would if I could bad pics / just front and back shots feels and looks kosher it.s a de ville looks early maybe actually think am going to pass think maybe missing the second hand and the dial has been touch up so will show sellers pic as not going for it maybe

Many de ville didn't have a seconds hand and used the cal. 625 - a small (and rather fragile) hand wind movement. If that's the case, it won't be difficult to find parts for this movement. The mainspring had a tendency to break easy. Wonder if that's what's happened.

14. Likes is that my watch liked this post