It's the least surprising twist in a conversation when a watch collector tells you they're into G-Shock. When I started writing about watches, I remember a fellow Australian journalist Bani McSpedden flicking through pictures on his phone of all his G-Shocks arranged in a rainbow stack. I found it curious then, but not so now. Why? The brand has carefully curated its modern mythology with shrewd pop culture collaborations, and creative activations and lately found new ways to celebrate its legacy. Sapphire crystal versions, solid gold, high-polished steel and gold plate, all managing to consolidate the design and pillar in the annals of watch history. However, the watch that really piqued my interest was one I ended up buying. The Full Metal Black Aged IP GMW-B5000V-1, a 43.2 mm x 43.2 mm square-shaped DW5000 fresh outta 1983. More about that in the video, and later in an in-depth review I'm working on. All of this is to say that, in my early days writing about watches, and we're talking over a decade ago now, I didn't expect the resin watches I'd owned through school and teen years, to be an ongoing part of the horological conversation.…

More...