Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** Where Troy once stood ****

**** Where Troy once stood ****

Well now the trojan war was fought in England or so it is now thought. well some are of the opinion that the Iliad was a based on Celtic folklore and it was not to save a woman who had been kidnapped by her lover as romanticised by the Iliad but to get hold of tin mines needed to make better weapons as a mix of ten percent tin to ninety percent copper.

I'm just reading a book by Iman Jacob Wilkens (Dutch born ) who thinks it is based in England.
    and it has some very logical point in his favour on it being just so.

Yes I know shocking but it just could be true as when looked at close the fact for it to be any where else is starting to stack as a no.

The forces that are describe as attacking on horse back and chariot. the Greeks at that time never use the chariot as like the Roman's it was use to transport men and equipment not in the actual fighting.or for that matter the use of horses.

Next the ships was desciribe a low and with oars and blunt end both front and back which describe more norse ship making then greek.

In the Iliad as they are unloading there supplies they are attacked by the enemies coming out of ditch defences which are a predominantly British defence which are still around today for example maiden castle.

Now the description of the location funnily enough perfectly describes the location of the Gog Magog Hills near Cambridge which has all the location information to match where with turkey the landscape does not match.

The city as it was called was made of not stone, but earthen walls and wood the land was fertile and green there was marshes there was battle mounds all english features.

There is a line about the rivers around troy and one to this day translates from Temese to Thames hmmm and there are enough river surrounding the city of Cambridge to match.

The description on the fighter having brown and red hair and moustaches not beards as the Greek wore at the time are all Celtic features.

One last point I like was that in the Iliad there is a line about the Trojans and there allies formed up on the mound in the plain some distance from the city this mound called Batieia was the barrow of the Amazon Myrina.. well Batieia if often translated to thorn hill which is still there in Cambridge to this day.

Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

I believe that was actually the premise of a Clive Cussler book, as well. I can't remember which one it was off hand but the factual bits actually made some sense. Unlike the plot, timeline and pretty much everything else in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I believe that was actually the premise of a Clive Cussler book, as well. I can't remember which one it was off hand but the factual bits actually made some sense. Unlike the plot, timeline and pretty much everything else in the book.
    true he is one of my favourite authors it was the trojan odyssey you was thinking of.

it is what lead me on to wondering if it could have any basis in truth it is not the first time I have heard thing attributing the location to be more northerly then first thought but the Celtic twist is new to me but makes a lot of sense as they was well travel even before the Romans was
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

and the last few cusslers well the dirk pitts seem to have gone of the boil a bit I am guessing the answer way before dirk and it it is getting tiresome now use to be like it when you did not get it till almost the end
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Just a thought, but if celts had migrated out that way, surely you'd see a few more ginger people in the region? To put it another way, we can track the migration of peoples very precisely through specific genetic markers found in particular locations. As such, there would be clear evidence for this hypothesis in the genes of the locals. That sort of result would be pretty common knowledge by now surely?

well brian sikes did some thing similar back in the 2007 but if the battle of troy was based in the uk the Trojans as they was called would be also be Celtic of a different tribe from Brittany and also Belgium and possible Germany so the genetics would follow . but in general there are proven case of Celtic artistry painting and statue to prove that the they was travelling plus certain weapons using the mixture of copper and tin proves this also that that tin is fairly rare anywhere but in the uk so for it to appear in weapons before the Roman times proves this and also it is well know that the Celtic bought on the bronze aged and were merchants that travel vast distance's

Last edited by is that my watch; May 15, 2015 at 09:33 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

there was also the frozen man of the mountain a body found I think in the Urals mountains that carried seeds to plant only found in Britain at that time and an arrow head in his back found to be of Celtic design

but that is a good question I think I read an article asking the same some where and there was a very good response just wish I could remember the reply
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

think this helps explains my point of how far they was know to travel

Name:  Capture.png
Views: 100
Size:  37.7 KB
    Last edited by is that my watch; May 15, 2015 at 09:27 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Interesting, the only bit I know anything about is the Gog Magog hills which were on my route to work on a daily basis for 10 yrs. I don't remember the hills being particularly unusual or memorable. What special feature am I missing ?
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    true he is one of my favourite authors it was the trojan odyssey you was thinking of.

it is what lead me on to wondering if it could have any basis in truth it is not the first time I have heard thing attributing the location to be more northerly then first thought but the Celtic twist is new to me but makes a lot of sense as they was well travel even before the Romans was
    That's the one! He is an entertaining author, but most of his books fall into the same pattern. His last few books I'd feel embarrassed if I didn't know the outcome within the first 50 pages.

I think for the most part, historians have severely underestimated the abilities of older civilizations. Considering the size of the Roman Empire and other societies, it makes sense that their world was much bigger than we give them credit for.

From what I remember, the overlap in geography described by Cussler (who I'm sure based it on someone else's theories) seemed plausible. I wouldn't mind reading up on that subject a little more.