Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My kinda crown

My kinda crown

A crucial part of the watch

Shape, size, width, knurling or grooved - you couldn't guess there'd be so many variations on a theme.....

Does the crown influence your decision on a particular watch?

Do you have a preference style that you keep going back to ?

Is there a crown style that you hate for one reason or another ?

Or even 'nice crown, shame about the watch' moments ?......

Starting in no particular order for me:

I like the one on my new Junghans - just right - a real Medium bear shape and size:
    Name:  P1020504a.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  42.4 KB

I like the soft edged tapered ones they use on recent Seiko Presage watches - they look like fun:

Name:  SSA343J1__38485.1562046513.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  40.9 KB

I like the one on my Vulcain, but maybe that's because it's a bi-directional winder, wind it clockwise and it winds the mainspring, wind it anticlockwise and it winds the alarm, so you wind both by just rubbing it back and forth between your fingers - satisfying

Name:  P1020688.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  65.6 KB

More in another post - how about your crown tales .......
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

2. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Fiddly ones are a pain, especially on hand-wind watches, so I like them on the big side more than the small size. Crowns should be easy and practical.

I’m almost reluctant to say it, but the recessed crown on the Speedmaster is the one less than perfect thing about it.

I’m probably in a minority in not really caring whether crowns are signed or not, irrespective of price.

4. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Adequate grip, not microscopic and not flimsy is all I ask from crowns. So far I only haven't been happy with one or two, will take some pics tomorrow.

6. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Blog Entries
    It's more types of crowns I don't like rather than ones I do influencing decisions. Generally I like a crown that won't dig into my hand and is easy enough to grip. That's what I'm looking for.

What I'm not looking for:

Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

8. Likes breadman3, Radharc, synequano liked this post
    ĦAy, caramba!

Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

So my next watch will most likely be the Hamilton Khaki field... and though I'm drawn to it, there are things that I wish that different - the crown being one. I feel like it looks too big for the case, but I understand it's utility. A hand wind that can be used in rough situations (with gloves perhaps) would be easier to wound with a larger crown, but aesthetically it just sticks out too much in my opinion.

We'll see how I feel about it when I get it in my hands.

11. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    It looks good to me. Purposeful, authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Aesthetically it just sticks out too much in my opinion.

People have said that about the crown on my W10

As Alan says, it has always read as purposeful to me
    And has a sure, solid feel which would be great with cold numb fingers
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

14. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    I'm definitely not denying the functionality of the crown on the Hamilton/W10 watches...just from an aesthetic standpoint is all... I may feel differently when I can see it in person. A lot of people complain that it's not a screw down crown, but I actually think Hamilton made the right choice on a hand wind watch.

16. Likes Seriously, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    A lot of people complain that it's not a screw down crown, but I actually think Hamilton made the right choice on a hand wind watch.

Absolutely right - a screw-down hand-wind would be ridiculous. And people over-value screw-down crowns.

18. Likes gnuyork, Seriously liked this post