Likes Likes:  10

Thread: The right watch for the watch you hardly ever wear

Threaded View

The right watch for the watch you hardly ever wear

Over the years I've tried to have a "balanced collection". A few years ago I realized during some heavy soul searching when reducing my collection that I do not need all kinds of watches it was better to just focus on sport watches since those I like to wear the most. The other thing I found is I like new, but I also appreciate vintage. So this would seem to be an oxymoron. So I found there is a growing number of what are essentially new versions of vintage models. So i decided to give this group the oxymoron Modern Vintage. There was a trickle at first,but many of these have become power players. For example it pretty hard to argue that the Longines Legend Diver is not one of Longines most popular models. This was the rebirth of a discontinued model from Longines past and they even gave the lume a patina color to play it even further. Some watches have continued to be refined over the years like the Rolex Sub and the Omega Speedy Moonwatch so they would fall in this group too. Omega's recent product launches are chalked full of Modern Vintage watches like the Ploprof, Kennedy, 300 Seamaster, Mark II, Bullhead...including even LE watches like the Silver Snoopy.

So back to the original topic which I have failed to mention until now which is the need, or lack there of, for a dressy watch in my collection. I know from the host of Rolex, Omega, Zenith, Glashutte Original and other high end brands I've owned that I can't justify keeping, that these are not the answer for me. I had decided that maybe quartz is the answer here, but what? I did try a Shinola Runwell 47 as an option, but with my shrinking wrist size (due to returning to running and loosing weight) the watch case size was way too big. There is a smaller version, but it was not real vintage enough. Then I stumbled on it in an ad the other day. The Bulova Accutron II has the quartz setup with the sweep second hand. The 97A110 model is a recreation the classic spaceview look so it gives me the Modern Vintage look that works. While a solar atomic watch would be the ideal configuration since it will not be worn much, this is way cooler. One of the few quartz movements worth looking at. Maybe this is finally the right solution for me. Only time will tell.

Post your watch epiphanies and how they have worked out?
    Last edited by Samanator; May 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

2. Likes JAGtime, Domo, iyonk, BlackNomad liked this post