Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This will be a new experience for me.

This will be a new experience for me.

I have only been showing and selling my paintings for five or six years. Before that only close friends ever saw anything. In all this time I have only worked with one gallery. They have decided to close their doors. One of the owners has two small children and the gallery was hindering her ability to pursue her own career as an artist and the other just bought an acreage and is looking to start a family. I had been on a "sabbatical" from what I call competitive painting and really didn't mind the idea of continuing it.

Within two days of me learning the gallery was closing another gallery contacted me saying they would love to represent me and could we get together. When I first decided to show I made a short list of three galleries I thought suited me. This gallery was the one on the list I had not visited back then. I have a vain and shallow side to my personality and was quite delighted for this gallery to approach me. This gallery owner is considerably more professional than the ones I previously worked with. When I started that would have been a bit of a drawback to me, but now I see it, and her high pressure tactics, as a potential plus.

So today I get to go interview a gallery, not the other way around. This should be fun!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! I have artists in my family and know that having galleries pursue you instead of the other way around is quite a coup. Hope it goes well for you.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

3. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Why do I feel like I'm seeing wonderful art slide further out of my price range...

Congratulations and good luck.

5. Likes Der Amf, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Congratulations! I have artists in my family and know that having galleries pursue you instead of the other way around is quite a coup. Hope it goes well for you.

Jeannie
    Thank you Jeannie! The gallery approaching me is a big plus. I feel like I am old enough I shouldn't have to audition anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Why do I feel like I'm seeing wonderful art slide further out of my price range...

Congratulations and good luck.
    We'll see what we can do about this...

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations! Your work surely deserves reward.

10. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    We will have to call your agent and do lunch to discuss why IWL needs a Rolex lithograph seires project....

Congrats on your success!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

12. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Well deserved, Henry. I love your work. And I like very little art.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

14. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I feel like I am old enough I shouldn't have to audition anymore.
    The excellent quality of your work precedes you of course

We should all get signed prints of your work before the new gallery takes you on (or rather you take them on ) for merely reading this momentous thread

16. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    I hope it went well! If a gallery owner can push you to bigger and better things, I for one can't wait to see the results.

18. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post