Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s a fella to do...

What’s a fella to do...

If you’ve not been keeping up, I’ve been tormented with thoughts of a new watch for a week or so....

The main catalyst was an old Porsche design mechanical Chronograph watch that a friend (father of a family I was friends with) gifted me back in the mid 1980’s, it had a DLC finish.
    He was in the money markets - earned a pile of dosh back then, spent it and didn’t really realise the value of money mebbe - he just got bored with the watch , didn’t use it , saw someone who was into watches and so...
    I believe it was this:
    Name:  fancybox_b229_porsche_design_2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  106.9 KB

I felt lucky - (I was into watches back then obviously )

One day a spring bar gave way !!, the watch fell to the floor before I even realised ..and the rotor fixing moved on its bearing so it caught internally as it spun.
    As a young fella there was no way I could even think about getting it fixed.... and I’m not sure what became of that watch afterwards.. but I was pissed off to say the least.

Before the internet and too young to know or realise what movement was in there , 7750 or Lemania - who knows ?!

So... move on to the 21st century and I find it was made by Orfina, and today Guinand and Sinn still sell virtually the same damn watch !! - although they’ve also both done DLC versions in the past they major on the steel version now.

And now I’m tormented - should I get the Sinn or the Guinand ?

Will it be oversized in the 21st century ?

Should I just put my money into something else ?

Name:  SI-417.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  179.7 KB

Name:  Cir2I7jW0AAJRRM.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  35.9 KB

I’m not really asking for the answer from you guys, I just wonder if you’ve had the same problem/dilemma at some stage in your watch buying history mebbe ? ... or a similar story - with a happy ending ?
    Last edited by Seriously; Oct 7, 2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

2. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Of course all of us are going to tell you "Buy the watch!" because you are engaging daily with a den of incurable enablers. (Personally, I like the higher contrast and readability of the Sinn.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    ...should I get the Sinn or the Guinand ?

I’m not really asking for the answer from you guys, ...
    Isn't the stock answer: Get both ! ?

"... the same problem/dilemma..."..... What?... of someone gifting me a PD watch ?..... I should be so lucky.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Of course all of us are going to tell you "Buy the watch!" because you are engaging daily with a den of incurable enablers. (Personally, I like the higher contrast and readability of the Sinn.)
    Ordered

Seriously I've gone from one make to another ... and back again.... then paused for a moment and then gone back to option 1 again .... then looked elsewhere - there's only one given here - and that's that there will be another Seriously watch.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

7. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Ordered
    ... there will be another Seriously watch.

That was easy.
    Next dilemma?

9. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    That was easy.
    Next dilemma?
    I keep ordering one of them in my head , but not in reality. just yet.
    Watches for SALE:

11. Likes skywatch liked this post
    I prefer the Sinn too, and not just because I generally prefer Sinn to Guinand. In moving to numerals, the Guinand has lost the classic look for me.

But no, I’ve never had a similar urge to replace something - except that the Smiths Expedition is strongly reminiscent of my first watch. But it’s not manual, so I’m spared.

13. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I keep ordering one of them in my head , but not in reality. just yet.
    Saves money that way, true 'nuff.

15. Likes Seriously, happyscrappyheropup liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Over priced

I'm going for new if I'm going.

I could get a genuine NOS PVD case for about £200 , but I'm not sure I want the Lemania movement, yes it's a classic, but ..........
    Watches for SALE: