Likes Likes:  122
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seiko divers

Seiko divers

Seiko has such an esteemed position in the market, particularly for sports watches, that a dedicated thread seems apt. I never even tried on a Seiko diver until very recently, so I'd love to see some of your Seiko divers and any others you think are notable.

There is a design and marketing transition underway to discuss too, as Seiko seeks to move upmarket, with the discontinuation of the ultra-affordable SKX00x series of divers and a new emphasis on higher grade divers.

Until recently, I had somewhat moronically written off the entire brand based on the designs and the thick, large specs. I reconsidered after recently acquiring a Grand Seiko and after realising that I'm not really wearing my gshock beaters. Naturally, that all gelatinised to form another watch purchase.

To start us off, I give you my (pending shipping) Seiko diver, the SPB097J: 44-20-13, 200m, 6R15 movement with 50hr reserve, sapphire, 51mm L2L. The case, known as a Marinemaster 200 or MM200, is flared underneath the bezel (which measures at 41-42mm) tapering down to a smaller footprint on the wrist. Seiko's proprietary steel coating Diashield is applied to these MM200 cases and bracelets, which tints the shade of steel somewhat IRL.

It wears beautifully, ie a lot smaller than the specs. It's a non-limited special edition for North America and Europe, the dial paying homage to twilight over the sea in Malta apparently. Pics below care of Monochrome preview.

Last edited by yokied; Oct 9, 2019 at 11:22 AM.

3. Likes yokied liked this post
    nice watch mate total tool watch is that padi

their are a few threads in the Japanese sub-forum to seiko not a fan boy myself but they have a certain respect from me. love vintage seiko mainly, have had quite a few new and old ones so will stick them all up in two and threes maybe ...

this thread had a certain following but gets forgotten

The Grand Seiko Appreciation Thread. Share your pics and stories!

and robs done a load of fixing seikos in the sub-forum I should really do the pics threads on my fixing watches like i use to just ant been in the right mood to do the pic a stage and it takes a lot longer to fix if you have to keep stopping to take pics ...

might be a few of my threads in central thats time to shunt to the sub- forum too

but a thread in central too sounds fun mate
    Last edited by is that my watch; Oct 9, 2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

5. Likes yokied liked this post
    ok lordmatic is worth a mention both in mechs and quartz.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

7. Likes yokied liked this post
    Yes, up until last year I have ignored Seiko as well... I bought a vintage Lord Marvel and that had me noticing more of their modern watches...

I have alway been interested in the cushion case design, so I went to a dept. store and tried on a Turtle, knowing full well the size breaks my rule of nothing over 42mm... On the wrist it felt and looked great, and wears smaller than the specs suggests, lug to lug is 47mm? After thinking about it, reading reviews, I went ina 2nd time and decided to just look again, but I ended up walking out with it. Got a great discount too, essentially 50% off, so that also makes me like it even more.

Anyway, I have been wearing the Turtle almost non stop since I got it earlier in the summer, until recently I am giving a new Hamilton some wrist time...

9. Likes yokied, synequano, FSM71, Sedi liked this post
    My first automatic watch was a bead blasted Seiko Orange Monster.

Name:  monsterblast.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  73.2 KB

11. Likes gnuyork, yokied, synequano, hayday, FSM71, Sedi liked this post
    The watch that got me interested in Seiko is the tuna

Name:  IMG_8498.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9613.jpg
Size:  85.8 KB

It’s a watch unlike any other,it’s huge yet it fits smaller wrist nicely

13. Likes gnuyork, yokied, Sedi liked this post
    Just showed up today fresh from the same studio that build the GS. SLA033 reissue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

I really want a Monster. It's just so tempting.

Name:  Blk monster.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  10.5 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

16. Likes yokied, synequano, gnuyork, Sedi liked this post
    Good to see some very solid pieces being shared here. Michael posted a vintage reissue. Here is another one I have my eye on: the SLA017 known as the 62MAS. 40-20-14, 200m WR, 8L35 movement with 60 hr reserve, 2,000 piece LE priced at $4k. It is trading above retail on the secondary market and has prompted a raft of micro homages at more reasonable prices.

They also created a slightly larger sized case for two broader, non-LE releases. 42-20-14, 200m WR, 6r15 movement with 50hr reserve, $1kish. Black steel on bracelet (SPB051) and a blue dial with teal bezel (SPB053) on strap. These 62Mas cases wear a little larger than the MM200 cases like the one in the OP. I have seen comparison shots of the two side by side and will post later.

The SPB issues have a larger case, domed sapphire and more modern handset. I have seen the SPBs modded to use a more historically accurate handset and they look fantastic. For example,

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 11.55.26 am.jpg
Size:  40.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    this thread had a certain following but gets forgotten ... The Grand Seiko Appreciation Thread. Share your pics and stories! ... and robs done a load of fixing seikos in the sub-forum I should really do the pics threads on my fixing watches like i use to just ant been in the right mood to do the pic a stage and it takes a lot longer to fix if you have to keep stopping to take pics ...

might be a few of my threads in central thats time to shunt to the sub- forum too
    I didn't even think to check the subforums, whoops. I'll have a bit of a poke around in there.