Likes Likes:  127
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspects of a watch design than don't bother you in the least

Aspects of a watch design than don't bother you in the least

As per the thread description:

For me , one of them to start you off:

1. Drilled or non-drilled lugs

I have never ever given them a second thought when buying a watch, it's not something I even check, nor do I stop and go if I do spot them.
    It's not something I'd regret in the slightest if the watch had them or not once purchased either..

In essence they don't bother me in the slightest, whatsoever, no way never.

Do you have a watch design feature that doesn't bother you?.... and/or maybe one that you hear other people 'complaining' about?
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Depending on watch, the lack of seconds hand does not bother me as much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes Seriously liked this post
    1. Relatively low WR (30m) in general, doesn't bother me.
    2. Chronographs without an hour totalizer/counter - perfectly fine.
    3. Weak lume? Ok.
    4. And the drilled/ non drilled lugs aren't a dilemma.
    5. AR coating on the crystal? Not an issue.
    Last edited by CFR; Oct 13, 2019 at 05:55 PM.

5. Likes Seriously, OhDark30, synequano liked this post
    My list of things that do not bother me is so extensive, depending on the particular watch in question, that listing what does bother me is much shorter.

7. Likes Seriously, hayday, Sedi, Cybotron liked this post
    It depends on the individual watch, but, in principle, I am not bothered by date complications. It's either well executed or it isn't. Same goes for cut off numerals. Both can look fine, both can look like shite.
    Last edited by hayday; Oct 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. Likes Seriously, FSM71, Sedi liked this post
    I've got one that I suspect few will agree with--it's incredibly rare for me to be bothered by the type of bracelet/strap--I like bracelets, leather straps, strap of other materials, buckle or deploying, etc. Yes, some go better than others with particular watches, but overall I'm happy with any of them if I otherwise like the watch.

11. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I've got one that I suspect few will agree with--it's incredibly rare for me to be bothered by the type of bracelet/strap--I like bracelets, leather straps, strap of other materials, buckle or deploying, etc. Yes, some go better than others with particular watches, but overall I'm happy with any of them if I otherwise like the watch.
    #1: Well .... it’s not exactly part of the watch that can’t be changed - so doesn’t count in a way.

They can always be changed , or buckle etc transferred to another strap of your choice.

In fact I bought a Timefactors watch earlier this year where it was only on a bracelet, so I bought it and changed to leather on day 1.

So it did bother me, but not enough to stop me buying....

And anyway (refer to point #1)
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    #1: Well .... it’s not exactly part of the watch that can’t be changed - so doesn’t count in a way.

They can always be changed , or buckle etc transferred to another strap of your choice.

In fact I bought a Timefactors watch earlier this year where it was only on a bracelet, so I bought it and changed to leather on day 1.

So it did bother me, but not enough to stop me buying....

And anyway (refer to point #1)
    Fair enough—except for integrated bracelets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Lume. Most of my favourite watches don’t have it, and some watch hands are compromisd by the addition of lume.

Asymmetry. Symmetry isn’t required for balance.

Water resistance. I don’t swim wearing a watch and I don’t dunk my left wrist in water, so basic water resistance is enough.

Screw-down crowns. Not required for decent water resistance so more of a nuisance than anything.

Automatic winding. Questionable efficiency, so no real advance on manual winding. Works well in Spring Drive movements, though.

I’ve included functional design.

16. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Lume on non-dive watches.

Drilled lugs I didn't even consider until reading the post. Non-issue.

I'm split on display backs for non-decorated movements. On the one hand, I spend zero time admiring Seiko, Miyota, Standard ETA etc... However I buy mostly used and it really helps identifying stuff if the seller isn't one to take movement pics.