Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just say "nein"

Just say "nein"

Name:  9s.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  17.2 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Hmmmmm.... The hands are WAY too short
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

3. Likes OhDark30, hayday, geoffbot, ck1109, vinylgreek liked this post
    It looks like a quartz watch, wonder what kind of battery it takes -

Maybe?

5. Likes Der Amf, Domo, Nokie, Raza, ken_sturrock, shemp liked this post
    I was OK until I got to 5:00. And 7:00.

EDIT: Aha! I knew it! Probably from the website you got the picture from comes this quote:

"5 is slightly wrong. With the exclamation point under the bar of the square-root sign it says sqrt(9!) - 9/9 which is 602.395.

It should have the exclamation point outside the square-root sign in which case it would be (sqrt(9))! - 9/9 which is 5. "

...as if I had the math to figure that out.

Last edited by mlcor; May 19, 2015 at 07:48 PM.

7. Likes FuzzyB, ck1109 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Maybe?
    Nein !

9. Likes Donf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I was OK until I got to 5:00. And 7:00.

EDIT: Aha! I knew it! Probably from the website you got the picture from comes this quote:

"5 is slightly wrong. With the exclamation point under the bar of the square-root sign it says sqrt(9!) - 9/9 which is 602.395.

It should have the exclamation point outside the square-root sign in which case it would be (sqrt(9))! - 9/9 which is 5. "

...as if I had the math to figure that out.

Yeah sqrt of 9 is 3, making the factorial (!) of 3 = to 6 subtracting 9 over 9 (which is 1) = 5

but if done like the clock face , would be the sqrt of (9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1) ... which is 602.395 .... but then you've still got to deduct the 9/9 (which is 1) , so the full wrong answer would be 601.395

11. Likes Nokie, vinylgreek liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Yeah sqrt of 9 is 3, making the factorial (!) of 3 = to 6 subtracting 9 over 9 (which is 1) = 5

but if done like the clock face , would be the sqrt of (9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1) ... which is 602.395 .... but then you've still got to deduct the 9/9 (which is 1) , so the full wrong answer would be 601.395
    ...and seven doesn't seem quite right, since the .9 factorial isn't quite 1 (although it's as close as you can get without hitting 1, I guess).

You could have 65.932 too ,... if you subtract the 9 from the wrong answer of 602.395 before dividing the entire thing by the final 9 instead of just subtracting the 9/9 (which is 1 obviously)

...and seven doesn't seem quite right, since the .9 factorial isn't quite 1 (although it's as close as you can get without hitting 1, I guess).
    Would work if you made it 0.999999999 (recurring) , but it doesn't quite fit on the dial lol
    Last edited by Seriously; May 19, 2015 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    You could 65.932 too ,... if you subtract the 9 from the wrong answer of 602.395 before dividing the entire thing by the final 9 instead of just subtracting the 9/9 (which is 1 obviously)

Sorry, I've long since run out of fingers and toes to work this one out...

15. Likes Seriously liked this post