Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do you let it go?

How long do you let it go?

If your watch has become a slow runner, how long (losing seconds per day) do you let it go until you finally send it in for a check?

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Needs a service ?

Depends how much you love it and how much the service is.

Or does it just need adjusting?
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

It would depend on several things. First, I’d have to notice it, which I might not, unless it was quite marked. Second, if it was probably due a service anyway, I’d see it as a symptom of that, if it was persistently and markedly slow for several weeks. If the slowness was relatively slight, I’d probably ignore it.

And all of the above would also apply to running fast. Generally, I wouldn’t be checking accuracy, so wouldn’t respond to minor variations, which might anyway be related to how I was using the watch. So my very rough answer is that I would respond to a marked change evident over several weeks. ‘Marked’ would need to be a variation of five to ten seconds per day. ‘Several’ would be the best part of a month.

well honestly I don't service my watches well I do in away I suppose as would look at it myself and as their is not a decent watchsmiths local or even semi local servicing is awkward (yes know a lot of jewels can send them out but like to know whose doing my watch. plus a lot of the time the service cost more then my watch did) .. so as I said elsewhere, say over a week under say three - five minute but seriously out then either I would play with it or sell it for the most part unless it held some sentimental value at the end of the day am a realists so yeah depends how much it going a stray
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Depends on how slow we're talking about. Besides you're retired now, so no hurry......

6. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Is this the retirement watch ?
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

My retirement brain runs slowly, just ask my wife, but no not the retirement watch.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

9. Likes Seriously, Fantasio, synequano, CFR liked this post
    Blog Entries
    In my own collection, if the watch had been running very accurately and then changed to slow over a short period of time (like Alan says, a few weeks or so) then yes it might want a cleaning, especially if it's been 8 or ten years perhaps. In my own collection, I am rarely afraid to open a watch up and do a little regulating myself. Maybe I wouldn't do that on a new-ish dive watch if I were worried about the gaskets, but most of mine are vintage and not very waterproof, so no big deal.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

I’d only regulate if it’s more than a minute off within a week or so (so around +/- 8 secs a day)

Otherwise,I’d just wear the watch and enjoy

12. Likes Seriously liked this post
    From my experience I do it just like I do for my cars. Do service when required per the manufacture and it doesn't break anything serious. You will need a seal or gasket from time to time, but in most cases nothing serious from wear. Most modern Omega and Rolex are 8-10 years. Higher end Seiko and GS 4-5 years. Definitely an area where Seiko needs to up it's game.

It used to be for Rolex you would need a new bracelet every 8 years if you wore it everyday it would stretch out. I could not stand faded or scratched bezels inserts so those were 3-5 years. Now with the new bracelets and ceramics those items may be never or over 20 years. My Explorer II is now 7 years with no stretch what so ever and the clasp is as solid as new. I've not had a single issue with a ceramic bezel which the AL ones were always an issue for me before ceramic or sapphire inserts existed. So now all I need to worry about is keeping the insides intact. My Explorer II had its first service a little over a year ago. I would never wait for it to start to fade as a service indicator.

That being said I would debate a bit servicing watches below a certain price point. I have the cars and watches I have for the most part so they will last a good long time if cared for.
    Last edited by Samanator; Oct 22, 2019 at 02:19 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!