Editor's note: In one of our favourite Sandra stories of all time, she takes aim at all the sacred cows of watch collecting, and skewers them. In style. When I talk with other women about watch collecting, the most common reaction runs along the lines of, "Oh, that's just a sad guy thing" or "I totally don't get why my husband bought such an expensive one/has to own so many/is so geeky about them …" Or even, "Ha! Boys' toys – you know what they're a substitute for …" So yeah, a luxury watch is really just a much more portable version of a muscle car or a mid-life Harley-Davidson. Compensation. For something. Sure, it's also "a reward for all those years of hard work". But, in truth, that watch/car/bike is a grown-up security blanket. And, as Linus knows, it's hard for a guy to live without one. OK, so I'm heading deep into cultural/gender stereotyping territory here. But there's science and study to back it up – from the seriously academic (Cambridge Professor Simon Baron-Cohen) to the pop psychology of John Gray's Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus. (And let me say it now: I do know…

The post Are watches just an insecure guy thing? appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...