Recall this recent acquisition: a 1947 "Doctor's Watch" Benrus with a nice copper dial. Alas, it runs quite fast (5-10 minutes per hour). Nothing a COA and demag can't cure.

Name:  Benrus20May2015.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  79.9 KB

Recall the Duo thread. This acquisition created a singleton - clearly, this deficiency must be repaired!

On today's flight to PVD, I somehow tore apart the hardware at the belt-loop end of my usual gold chain. This threatened to put a damper on my plan to wear my graduation present 4C 992B Hamilton pocketwatch. But, I had plenty of time before my first event for the day, so I went looking for a full service jeweler with an ER.

I was in luck! They had (more-or-less) an exact replacement for the torn up part. Mission accomplished. While I was waiting for the repair to happen, I noticed a rather extensive display of Benrus watches - and then I remembered that the re-booted brand had a Providence, RI connection of some sort. Wheels started turning.

Now...the current Benrus shares only the name with the 1947 Benrus. Cheap Japanese Quartz movements in various styles (chronograph, trench, etc.) sold with a heavy dose of military-like paraphernalia (referring to their WWII military contract). The good news is that the price matches the level of ambition.

So, I decided to upgrade my singleton Benrus to a duo, and also acquire a memento of this particular trip. Surely, an event which calls for a ritual unboxing:

Name:  BenrusBox.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  82.9 KBName:  BenrusBag.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  99.9 KBName:  BenrusCushion.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  100.9 KBName:  BenrusWrist.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  116.9 KB