Likes Likes:  5

Thread: From the sublime to the ridiculous

From the sublime to the ridiculous

Recall this recent acquisition: a 1947 "Doctor's Watch" Benrus with a nice copper dial. Alas, it runs quite fast (5-10 minutes per hour). Nothing a COA and demag can't cure.

Name:  Benrus20May2015.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  79.9 KB

Recall the Duo thread. This acquisition created a singleton - clearly, this deficiency must be repaired!

On today's flight to PVD, I somehow tore apart the hardware at the belt-loop end of my usual gold chain. This threatened to put a damper on my plan to wear my graduation present 4C 992B Hamilton pocketwatch. But, I had plenty of time before my first event for the day, so I went looking for a full service jeweler with an ER.

I was in luck! They had (more-or-less) an exact replacement for the torn up part. Mission accomplished. While I was waiting for the repair to happen, I noticed a rather extensive display of Benrus watches - and then I remembered that the re-booted brand had a Providence, RI connection of some sort. Wheels started turning.

Now...the current Benrus shares only the name with the 1947 Benrus. Cheap Japanese Quartz movements in various styles (chronograph, trench, etc.) sold with a heavy dose of military-like paraphernalia (referring to their WWII military contract). The good news is that the price matches the level of ambition.

So, I decided to upgrade my singleton Benrus to a duo, and also acquire a memento of this particular trip. Surely, an event which calls for a ritual unboxing:

Name:  BenrusBox.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  82.9 KBName:  BenrusBag.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  99.9 KBName:  BenrusCushion.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  100.9 KBName:  BenrusWrist.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  116.9 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

2. Likes OhDark30, whatmeworry, BlackNomad, iyonk liked this post
    Very cool. That Benrus is just awesome.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

The first one is very nice. The second one? Well, it has a pointy jet thingy on one end of the seconds hand with fletching at the other end. So, I guess there's that.

5. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    The first one is very nice. The second one? Well, it has a pointy jet thingy on one end of the seconds hand with fletching at the other end. So, I guess there's that.
    But...but...the first one is tiny and runs fast, while the second one is big and manly, and keeps accurate time.

Of course, I agree - the 1947 Benrus is a classic work of art. The 2015 re-boot is...not. But, for my purposes, it does serve to provide contrast (oh, how the mighty have fallen) and the PVD connection makes it at least a tolerable souvenir and talking point.

One is Kodachrome 25 - the other is Instagram. The perfect "duo"!
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Very cool. That Benrus is just awesome.
    Um...which one?