Likes Likes:  274
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Friday - 1 November 2019 »»»»»»»»»

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Greetings from my hotel room in Hanoi ... Here's a snap of the fascinating layers of life here. New high-rise offices and luxury shops, framed by the crumbling remnants of French colonialism, humble tenements and street merchants, with some of the most suicidal moped drivers I have ever seen.
    Is there anything better than south east Asia for contemplating one's own mortality, or getting a little too close to experiencing it? Taxis and hire cars screaming around off-camber terrible roads in the pouring rain, mopeds and tuktuks doing same. Survive, hop out, grab some decidedly adventurous street food and stand in the rain and/or humidity watching it all unfold underneath some truly diabolical electrical engineering and enjoy the snap, crackle and pop soundtrack. If I only had a few hours in Thailand, Vietnam etc that's my itinerary.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Cold is what you, personally, are used to.
    I find all this quite interesting because as an Australian, I can't handle the cold (anything under +13 degrees celsius) and I see lots of northern Europeans and Americans down here, all with varying tolerance for the heat. It seems that we can handle swimming and surfing in cold conditions and obviously the heat better than a lot of northerners. Still, it seems like you guys experience the broadest variation in temperatures across the year. Even in the desert and alpine regions here it doesn't go much lower than freezing ie 0 degrees celsius. I wonder what the cardiopulmonary, pathological etc science is like on this.

Quote Originally Posted by yokied View Post

I find all this quite interesting because as an Australian, I can't handle the cold (anything under +13 degrees celsius) and I see lots of northern Europeans and Americans down here, all with varying tolerance for the heat. It seems that we can handle swimming and surfing in cold conditions and obviously the heat better than a lot of northerners. Still, it seems like you guys experience the broadest variation in temperatures across the year. Even in the desert and alpine regions here it doesn't go much lower than freezing ie 0 degrees celsius. I wonder what the cardiopulmonary, pathological etc science is like on this.

My tolerance of heat is getting better as I get older.

In 2018 the coldest day in Saskatoon was -30C/ -22 F, which isn't nearly as bad as many years, and the hottest day of the year was 38.1C/ 100.5F. As often as not we get temperatures close to or below -40. That 60+C/120+F temperature swing is not untypical. I find the low end of that scale easier to handle than the high end.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Nov 2, 2019 at 05:24 AM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Temperature ranges here are very similar to Henry’s. The wide swings are very hard on streets, houses and cars, not to mention people...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post

Same here: I'll be wearing the same combo - for the 8th consecutive day! A whole week wearing the same watch

Attachment 90955

Have a great day, IWL.
    I could wear that one for a year.

5. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I could wear that one for a year.
    This watch is very easy to wear. I like to call it "neutral" because it's not "flashing" and it's really comfortable on the wrist.

7. Likes gnuyork liked this post