Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breitling Colt SQ

Breitling Colt SQ

I like a Colt. I once had two, one of them a quartz from the succeeding generation to this one. Comparing the models now, I can see that my old Colt was a pumped-up makeover of a nicer and more naturally proportioned watch. I doubt that I was aware of that at the time, and would probably have gone for brand new and bigger anyway.
    Name:  E34FB88D-8AEB-43DA-AAB0-568386F4B02A.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  52.4 KB
    Seller’s picture.

The history of the Colt, as far as I know it, is that the quartz original was intended for military use in the 1980s. It was sold in PX-type shops on Italian military bases, and some featured the insignia of Italian regiments. Breitling may have been hoping for a military contract, but there’s no real evidence of the Colt being issued (and no claim from Breitling that it was). Some were sold to the general public.

The Colt became a mainstream model in the 1990s and went through several generations, each a little larger and fancier than the last. This one is the Colt SQ, which was produced from 2002-05. It was amongst the last of the 38mm models, and probably the most capable, with a superquartz movement and 500m depth rating.

An older Colt is over-engineered but relatively modest, especially on a strap. There were automatic versions (I had one) but quartz felt truer to the breed. It’s a Breitling, but it’s casual and convenient rather than showy. Entry-level can be just right.

Name:  6542C5CE-F2FF-4D62-82F2-266A8E67D248.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  73.6 KB

This one popped up without me looking for it, and I found I wanted another go at the Colt. The negotiated price was hard to refuse (nobody wants ‘em), the condition was excellent, and the seller was local. Coming with a fresh 8-year battery, it could take me to an age when I can’t be bothered with high falutin things.

The blue Breitling strap had to go - too small. Now on a no-name brown buffalo from the strap box.

Breitling Colt SQ

Nice one, Alan!

The Italian px watches badged with regiments, ships etc, were the Pluton, often branded DPW
    I nearly got myself one (and by extension a Colt), looking for a sensible sized, fairly sober watch, when Breitling were going through their bonkers overblown period
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

3. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    I was ready to pull the trigger on a Colt some time ago

I really like them and I was after a high quality quartz.

But, after looking at every one in the shop, not one had a second hand that was hitting the markers. I was very surprised and disappointed. Perhaps I was unlucky, but at around £2k it was a deal breaker for me.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

5. Likes crownpuller, iyonk liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I have come close to buying the older automatic version (40mm I think.) Understated and an honest. Good find!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

7. Likes tribe125, iyonk liked this post
    But ..... nice
    Last edited by Seriously; Nov 1, 2019 at 11:33 PM.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

9. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    But, after looking at every one in the shop, not one had a second hand that was hitting the markers. I was very surprised and disappointed. Perhaps I was unlucky, but at around £2k it was a deal breaker for me.

Let me check...

One minute later... no, this one doesn’t either. And actually, I wouldn’t expect it to. It’s only in fairly recent years that some high end quartz movements have had additional mechanisms to control backlash.

With a standard quartz movement (even a high accuracy one), it’s unlikely that the hand will hit all the markers. Paradoxically, some cheaper quartz movements hit the markers because they have tight movements - which shortens their life.

It wasn’t something I checked for with this watch. More important were a good bezel mechanism and a decent amount of thread on the screw-down crown.

11. Likes iyonk, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    I’ve always liked the Colt, perhaps because of the stark contrast between it and so many of Breitling’s huge and overwrought models. Nice pickup!

13. Likes tribe125, OhDark30, iyonk, Samanator liked this post
    Unexpected, and nice! Enjoy
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Let me check...

One minute later... no, this one doesn’t either. And actually, I wouldn’t expect it to. It’s only in fairly recent years that some high end quartz movements have had additional mechanisms to control backlash.

With a standard quartz movement (even a high accuracy one), it’s unlikely that the hand will hit all the markers. Paradoxically, some cheaper quartz movements hit the markers because they have tight movements - which shortens their life.

It wasn’t something I checked for with this watch. More important were a good bezel mechanism and a decent amount of thread on the screw-down crown.
    Yeah, I think I let these things bother me more than I should sometimes.

After a service my Sub's bezel was a fraction of a mm from lining up with the minute markers. It drove me nuts and I made them change it, even though in reality it doesn't matter as it should be aligned to the hand's position (which is more than likely not going to be spot on a marker when you use it)
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

16. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Dibs!!!!!!!!

LOL! just want to sceam it out loud and complement your excellent taste in watches Alan!
    2 Grand is just out of my price range capability but gotta admit That Colt is just plain COOL..

if i could ask for a favor... could you please post more pictures of this gorgeous watch?, like the caseback, side profile and lug clearance..
    just for me to admire.... meanwhile, i know my Certina DS and Inox would serve me as well and fulfill the same purpose...

Congrats on the Purchase Alan! and thanks for sharing in this post! i'm amazed 38mm still look great on your 7,5" wrist..

ps: would this replace the duty of your "Travel watch"?

Last edited by iyonk; Nov 2, 2019 at 12:07 PM.
    I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

18. Likes Seriously, tribe125, JAGtime liked this post