I like a Colt. I once had two, one of them a quartz from the succeeding generation to this one. Comparing the models now, I can see that my old Colt was a pumped-up makeover of a nicer and more naturally proportioned watch. I doubt that I was aware of that at the time, and would probably have gone for brand new and bigger anyway.
Name:  E34FB88D-8AEB-43DA-AAB0-568386F4B02A.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  52.4 KB
Seller’s picture.

The history of the Colt, as far as I know it, is that the quartz original was intended for military use in the 1980s. It was sold in PX-type shops on Italian military bases, and some featured the insignia of Italian regiments. Breitling may have been hoping for a military contract, but there’s no real evidence of the Colt being issued (and no claim from Breitling that it was). Some were sold to the general public.

The Colt became a mainstream model in the 1990s and went through several generations, each a little larger and fancier than the last. This one is the Colt SQ, which was produced from 2002-05. It was amongst the last of the 38mm models, and probably the most capable, with a superquartz movement and 500m depth rating.

An older Colt is over-engineered but relatively modest, especially on a strap. There were automatic versions (I had one) but quartz felt truer to the breed. It’s a Breitling, but it’s casual and convenient rather than showy. Entry-level can be just right.

Name:  6542C5CE-F2FF-4D62-82F2-266A8E67D248.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  73.6 KB

This one popped up without me looking for it, and I found I wanted another go at the Colt. The negotiated price was hard to refuse (nobody wants ‘em), the condition was excellent, and the seller was local. Coming with a fresh 8-year battery, it could take me to an age when I can’t be bothered with high falutin things.

The blue Breitling strap had to go - too small. Now on a no-name brown buffalo from the strap box.