Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Another passing

Another passing

Anne Meara.

I know most of the younger guys/gals here don't remember her or think of her as Ben Stiller's mom, but back in the 60's and 70's there were few funnier than Stiller and Meara. And then she gave it up because he marriage was more important. Wow, guess that's why they staye dmarried until one of them died.

Thanks Anne.

That's Ben Stiller's dad ?!

You can see the likeness ...... a lot !! from the fathers side of course.

Before my time ..... or just big in your country and not over here.... Sorry I'd never heard of her.

They were a very popular comedy team in the 70's.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/25/ar...d=nytcore-ipad

Here is Anne Meara's obituary from the NY Times. The Stiller and Meara comedy duo was more of Jerry Stiller's idea, as Anne Meara had been a serious actress up until then (but he thought she was hysterically funny.) Until late in her life, Anne Meara continued to appear on TV, in movies, on Broadway, as well as writing and directing plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    That's Ben Stiller's dad ?!

You can see the likeness ...... a lot !! from the fathers side of course.

Before my time ..... or just big in your country and not over here.... Sorry I'd never heard of her.
    Yep, Jerry Stiller. Many may remember him best as George Costanza's father on Seinfeld, or as Carrie Heffernan's father on King Of Queens. But Stiller & Meara were very popular in the 60s/70s. I remember seeing them on the Ed Sullivan Show several times.

Possibly the last time they worked together (and perhaps her last job?) was in 2014's animated "Planes: Fire & Rescue" where they voiced a pair of elderly RVs seeking the spot they met in a National Park. Recognized both of their voices immediately when I saw it just a few weeks ago.

RIP Anne, thanks for the laughs and entertainment!
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

6. Likes JAGtime liked this post