Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Divers and repair costs

Divers and repair costs

This has bothered me for some time but I have never seen it discussed - though it must have been.

For instance:

Your Marianis Trench Inhabitor is running 47 minutes fast, you have Scotch Tape over a hole in the crystal, and the date hasn't worked for two years. You think it might be time for a service. You send it off to a watchmaker with a good reputation.

And he does a great job - except for one thing. When the watch was manufactured by Scrotex it was rated for 3,000 feet but the watchmaker only tested it for 200 feet. Said if you wanted it tested for a greater depth it would cost you more.

I'm thinking, that when a watch is repaired it SHOULD be tested to the depth it is rated for, or at least pretty damn close. I shouldn't have to pay extra any more than I should to have the watch running within timekeeping spec. which they all (the good ones at least) seem not only willing to do but actually pride themselves on being able to accomplish.

I realize that for greater depths more expensive equipment is required, but they don't charge more for using better screwdrivers or a better timegrapher for instance. And if the will charge more for the test they must already have the requisite tester anyway.

Or, how about a discount off the standard fee for only testing it to a minimal depth.

2. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Your Marianis Trench Inhabitor is running 47 minutes fast, you have Scotch Tape over a hole in the crystal, and the date hasn't worked for two years.

4. Likes Donf, hayday liked this post
    Shall I bother pointing out the superfluousness of water resistance exceeding however deep you're ever going to dive?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes Bwana, Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Shall I bother pointing out the superfluousness of water resistance exceeding however deep you're ever going to dive?
    and, just get up 47 minutes later each day.
    There's nothing important to read here.

8. Likes Der Amf, hayday liked this post
    Can take the boy out of f2, but.....

10. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    [QUOAhhhhh, jeez guys, you can be brutal.
    But this has happened twice in the past few years.
    TE=Der Amf;121251][/QUOTE]

I only used the Scrolex MTI because I figured we all had one and knew what it looked like.

As far as superfluous - not really. My car will do 140mph. - after a tune up I would be really upset if it topped out at 70mph because I shouldn't drive over that or 100 because I never drive over that. There is a safety factor built in there with water resistance. Testing to a mimimal depth may be fine but it still just seems lazy to me not to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin63 View Post
    and, just get up 47 minutes later each day.
    I'm retired - I time bed time.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Can take the boy out of f2, but.....

Below the belt - below the belt.

12. Likes geoffbot, Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    I only used the Scrolex MTI because I figured we all had one and knew what it looked like.
    It was the being-taped-up I wanted to see

So, who wants to join me in building a "Scrotex" diver? That name is too classic not to exist. We can have a model called the "Donf" (pronounced just like it's spelled). I'd specify the depth rating in fathoms, or maybe furlongs.

Who's with me?

15. Likes Donf, popoki nui liked this post
    I don't know, have you ever smacked the crystal of your ridiculously over specified dive watch against the side of a wreck at forty meters?

There's all this talk of pressure, static pressure hydraulic pressure and all, but the bottom line is that diving offers a wealth of hard surfaces to smack against and having a crystal thick enough to avoid failing at three hundred meters has a tendency not to shatter or shift when lightly battered and a tenth of that. There's something to be said for indestructibility in a dive watch, more precisely there's something to be said for utter forget-ability until you need it... Not that any sane person uses a dive watch as anything more than a reserve or even third reserve.

17. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    So, who wants to join me in building a "Scrotex" diver? That name is too classic not to exist. We can have a model called the "Donf" (pronounced just like it's spelled). I'd specify the depth rating in fathoms, or maybe furlongs.

Who's with me?
    Finally, a well thought out, mature response.

19. Likes rfortson, geoffbot liked this post