How did I accidentally become a vintage watch guy? Partly, I blame the fact that I've got the spindly wrists of a teenage girl. That meant I naturally gravitated towards smaller dials.*But I also put it down to the tawdry state of my finances. When I first started to get into watches —*before the retro boom really started to kick —*you could pick up an Omega Speedmaster in decent nick for $600. Given my financial reality, vintage watches made a lot of sense. I quickly became a sucker for their personal histories, too. Take the 1950s Zenith dress watch I bought online from a woman in Rome. Uneasy that I was about to wire cash to a total stranger (in a foreign country), I attempted to strike up a connection, hoping it'd reduce my chance of being swindled. In the correspondence that ensued, Paola explained the Zenith in question had belonged to her late grandfather, a general in the Italian army. She even shared this photo of him. Admittedly, if this straight-backed man on a white stallion knew that his watch would one day hang off the wrist of a feckless media twat like me, he would surely be turning…

The post The 3 mistakes I made buying a vintage watch, my cautionary tale appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...