Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WR thingy

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I did what now
    You broke it.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

2. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    I'm not the only one! I'm not the only one!

Attachment 91254
    https://www.jswatch.com/water-resistance-guide

I still don't see much rationale behind it but at least I have company.
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I've always found WR ratings quite baffling.

For example:
    My neighbour is an enthusiastic scuba diver; he tells me he rarely ventures beyond 40m on a dive, and his deepest dive was 52m....
    So why do 'they' tell me I need at least a rating of 100m WR just to go swimming ?.... or indeed 200m to go scuba diving ?

My criteria for most of my watches is: Do I need to take it off when I take the kids to the pool ?.... If the answer is yes, I'll change it for one that I can keep on.
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    If ‘they’ is a watch company, it’s probably due to product liability concerns.

The ISO standard (ISO 22810:2010) is presumably the most definitive -

Attachment 91261
    This.
    There are two ISO standards for WR with watches. This one relies on a small sampling of the watches to be pressure tested. These are often not tested in water and once again, those tested only cover a small sampling of that model. So, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

The other standard is for dive watches. Every single watch made is tested, in still water to a depth that exceeds the rating by 25%. Not all watches that are dive tested say Dive 200, for example, but if a watch has Dive 200 on the dial that very watch did not flood when tested in water at an equivalent pressure of 250 metres depth. Can't remember what the ISO standard is and can't be bothered to look it up, but there you go.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

4. Likes Seriously, crownpuller, synequano, Dimman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

The other standard is for dive watches. Every single watch made is tested, in still water to a depth that exceeds the rating by 25%. Not all watches that are dive tested say Dive 200, for example, but if a watch has Dive 200 on the dial that very watch did not flood when tested in water at an equivalent pressure of 250 metres depth. Can't remember what the ISO standard is and can't be bothered to look it up, but there you go.
    ISO 6425
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

6. Likes Henry Krinkle, synequano, Dimman liked this post
    Back on this -- how do we interpret a 'water resistant' on the caseback without any rating given?

Back on this -- how do we interpret a 'water resistant' on the caseback without any rating given?

I’d say it was pretty meaningless.

9. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    I'd interpret that as 'splashproof'; and I'd be wary of heavy rain.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

11. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I'd interpret that as 'splashproof'; and I'd be wary of heavy rain.
    so hmt like
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

13. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    OK, in this particular case I just didn't have a good look at the caseback (great idea to put the rating apart from the 'water resistant' text), and it's, hello Longines, 3bar:

WR thingy

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Let's fix it once and for all

Attachment 91257

Rated and laboratory tested @15,000m and actually used in real life @ 10,928m.
    and then there’s the Rolex DeepSea Challenge at 51mm in diameter, and 28.5mm thick. My friend has one of the three that were made and I tried it on at the end of January.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/li...camerons-rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WWII70; Feb 25, 2020 at 08:44 PM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

I'm fine with 30-50m WR, and prefer 100m and above for sports watch..

like i always said... my most complain with Water Resistant is -- its me that is lack of water resistance..

I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

17. Likes rodia77 liked this post