Likes Likes:  61
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm strangely tempted by this one...

I can't say I'm a big fan of current Doxa, I'm not particularly fond of that model and I would probably have some doubts about their QC. That said, you already have a wonderful collection with very solid pieces. I can perfectly understand the appeal of something completely different. I really do. Of course you don't need my opinion, but sometimes a slightly less wise decision can bring some unexpected fun. Just saying...

2. Likes mlcor, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I’ve had a few of these over the year. Few notes Doxa always look smaller than their case size on the wrist. I consider the 300 way too small for me. I’m not a fan of their printed dials for the price. My favorite is the 5000t which had applied indexes, better movement, micro adjust bracelet, killer Lume and looked so much more worth the price. It’s out of production at the moment. Did I mention that a Doxa tend to scratch by being In air? You don’t have to wear them the scratches just appear from nowhere. In the past ( part of why I don’t have one now) Doxa’s CS position was no matter what the issue is it’s your fault. I hear rumors it’s improved some.

Get the Rado. Better made, unique movement can be tried before you buy. The Topper strap kit gives you three different looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's the downside of a Doxa. Scratch magnets indeed.
    Cheers,

Richard

Their customer service was quite newsworthy at one time. The misspelling of ‘Caribbean’ on the dial was said to be a feature rather than an error, and there was also a misspelling on some case backs (patended rather than patented, from memory). There were quality issues that went beyond simple errors. And then there was an unholy row between the CEO and a former employee, all played out in vicious detail on the internet.

The Jenny family have appointed a new management team, but for anyone who recalls the recent past, it’s hard not to associate Doxa with general awfulness.

5. Likes Samanator, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Rules are made to be broken
    Says the veggie
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

I think I must have been on the Doxa site upwards of 20 times now with a sweaty, nervous index finger poised over the 'buy now' button for one of their smaller models. I think it may have been the 1200T? I kept dithering between the Sharkhunter and the Searambler but in the end couldn't commit. It is widely said that they wear small for their size, but not being able to try one one was a massive barrier.

In the end, I spent a bit less on the Rado Captain Cook Mk2 reissue. It has the right mix of reasonable price, good fit and finish, comfortable BOR braclet, funky 60's vibe and weird asymetric handset to scratch my Doxa itch. It has the handy 80 hour power reserve and at 37mm, there was no way it was going to be too big - even if it is proportioned like a tall little wrist hamburger.
    Last edited by FSM71; Nov 12, 2019 at 05:46 AM.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

8. Likes Samanator, yokied liked this post
    Seiko release their 4th Gen Seiko Monster with better spec, case and so on.. and it will eventually come in Orange..

i might still would Get the Doxa IF I were you...
    even though since we know you, it would get very little wrist time..
    I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

10. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Well, clearly not a lot of love for the Doxa brand here. I happen to really enjoy all of my Doxa divers. I've never had any issue with them scratching easily at all (also happy with the build quality for the $ but have never paid msrp for mine, and purchased most preowned and the new ones at the preorder discount price commonly offered), but firmly agree with Michael that they wear smaller on the wrist than dimensions would lead you to believe.

The only Doxa I own that has the smaller case size of 42.5mm is my Doxa Sub300 50th Anni Searambler, and it wears quite small on the wrist for sure, but given what Doxa was going for with the 50th Anni versions, it's also much thinner (I believe 13.4mm including the raised sapphire crystal, and 12.4mm considering just the case dimension). Come to think of it though, my yellow Poseidon is 42.7mm in diameter and thicker at 15mm. Just depends on what you are going for.

I really like them a ton and you can't go wrong with the Doxa Pro orange IMO, but great in other colors as well. (again, all clearly IMO)

Last edited by stew77; Nov 13, 2019 at 04:58 AM.
    Cheers,

Chris

12. Likes iyonk, gnuyork, yokied, Samanator, mlcor, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by stew77 View Post

Oooooooooooo, now we're talking - I like these two

(Not a fan of the bright coloured dials though)
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

14. Likes stew77 liked this post
    Well, clearly not a lot of love for the Doxa brand here. I happen to really enjoy all of my Doxa divers. I've never had any issue with them scratching easily at all (also happy with the build quality for the $ but have never paid msrp for mine, and purchased most preowned and the new ones at the preorder discount price commonly offered), but firmly agree with Michael that they wear smaller on the wrist than dimensions would lead you to believe.

The only Doxa I own that has the smaller case size of 42.5mm is my Doxa Sub300 50th Anni Searambler, and it wears quite small on the wrist for sure, but given what Doxa was going for with the 50th Anni versions, it's also much thinner (I believe 13.4mm including the raised sapphire crystal, and 12.4mm considering just the case dimension). Come to think of it though, my yellow Poseidon is 42.7mm in diameter and thicker at 15mm. Just depends on what you are going for.

I really like them a ton and you can't go wrong with the Doxa Pro orange IMO, but great in other colors as well. (again, all clearly IMO)

The others are very cool, but this is the one I would pick first. Love the looks of this one!!

16. Likes stew77 liked this post
    I happen to really enjoy all of my Doxa divers. I've never had any issue with them scratching easily at all (also happy with the build quality for the $ but have never paid msrp for mine, and purchased most preowned and the new ones at the preorder discount price commonly offered), but firmly agree with Michael that they wear smaller on the wrist than dimensions would lead you to believe.

They're gorgeous watches and your shots demonstrate why a lot of us are here have gone close. But the OP was really asking to be talked out of it, so I tried to oblige. If I didn't stumble upon a certain Zodiac, I probably would've ended up with a Doxa, and possibly with fewer dramas than I've had with the Zodiac. The $1-2k dive watch category is awash with options now.

18. Likes Samanator, mlcor, iyonk, stew77 liked this post