Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you...

Would you...

consider this refurbished Zenith Sporto?

Yes, I know, the dial has been repainted. The whole thing is a freak show if one is after authenticity, but just look at it. It's gorgeous! Reminds me of the Montre Pilot. The insides look ok, though more thought was put into making the front look nice; the movement looks clean but inside of the case has not been cleaned as well as the outside. The serial number checks out with Ranftt's info.

I just really like the way it looks but this isn't always the best way to judge a vintage watch. So, what would you do? I'm tempted and I'm turning to you (again) for help and advice.

There are also this and this Zenith Sporto models I'm looking at.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Original smiginal. The only reason I'm not bidding against you on it now is the small size. It's a great look piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Original smiginal. The only reason I'm not bidding against you on it now is the small size. It's a great look piece.
    of course it's small, it's old!

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    of course it's small, it's old!

-hayday
    By and large I agree with that statement, but I just bought a 1970 Speedy mkii that's 42mm

thats said if the one you posted were larger I'd have been all over it instead
    Last edited by Chase; May 29, 2015 at 05:35 AM.

5. Likes hayday liked this post
    It's pretty, but the redial is higly "imaginative". I have nothing against good redials; they're often necessary. But look @ #5: it seems that it had a crash with the seconds subdial and got blurred. Truth be told, it's difficult to find a properly painted numeral, here.

The case is - as expected - a bit rusty. The movement shows the adjustment completely out of scale and there seems that more - and substantial - case damage can be found @6. ...
    Last edited by CFR; May 29, 2015 at 04:58 AM.

7. Likes hayday liked this post
    Stainless Steel Case has been polished to make it look like New & Flawless

Name:  Beetlejuice_.gif
Views: 118
Size:  570 Bytes

Casing will show age
    Double
    Name:  Beetlejuice_.gif
Views: 118
Size:  570 Bytes
    I'd walk away from anyone who states words like 'flawless' or 'perfect' on an old piece of anything. It's clearly not flawless..

I agree it's a very though.

Although I prefer the looks of the 2nd link, this one, very very more a 'normal' size too.... although I don't personally go for vintage stuff

9. Likes hayday liked this post
    This is why I turn to you all....to crush my dreams. Even though I knew it was refurbished, I was blown away by how GD pretty the thing is and had trouble seeing it through objective eyes. I don't mind refurbished if done right, and I appreciate attempts to make a watch look shinny and pretty but without killing the authenticity; I like patina and think this would make a great name if I ever have another daughter. I think I'll pass. Thanks, people.

What about the other two Sportos I linked to in the original message? They are pretty darn authentic and appear to have only been "spit polished" to make 'em shinny. Any more thoughts on those?

-hayday
    Last edited by hayday; May 29, 2015 at 02:01 PM.

2nd one (although I like it) ...."Watches not recently serviced unless stated"

......It's not stated

3rd one (Out of the three this one doesn't really do it for me) ... but for the price right now is not gonna hurt the pocket...although a lot can happen in ~2 days

Set yourself a limit you're comfortable with and assume that one is not serviced and .... see what happens

12. Likes hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    This is why I turn to you all....to crush my dreams. Even though I knew it was refurbished, I was blown away by how GD pretty the thing is and had trouble seeing it through objective eyes. I don't mind refurbished if done right, and I appreciate attempts to make a watch look shinny and pretty but without killing the authenticity; I like patina and think this would make a great name if I ever have another daughter. I think I'll pass. Thanks, people.

What about the other two Sportos I linked to in the original message? They are pretty darn authentic and appear to have only been "spit polished" to make 'em shinny. Any more thoughts on those?

-hayday
    If it was cheap enough you coud get it and immediately
    (a) have the redial redialled
    (b) have the poor thing cleaned properly!

Might be a bit of money sink. Also, down at that size every 1mm counts. 33mm really does feel seriously smaller than 35mm

14. Likes hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My big deal was the regulator moved all the way over. I could live with a redial if I liked it, but the regulator to one side means something is out of whack.

Dan

16. Likes hayday liked this post