It's been over two weeks since Sammy the Watch Cat died and I'm still in the depression stage I believe. Haven't accepted it totally yet - I go outside and I'm so careful to open the door, expecting a furry gray missile to try passing me on his way out. I lie down on the couch expecting a big warm body to stretch out on me. I miss him terribly (although I don't miss giving the cat pills twice a day.)
In trying to work through the problem, I had some grief therapy for a while as we did some cat-sitting for Maria's friend. I'm not sure if that solved anything though.
What I have figured out:
  • There's no replacing Sammy, just as he never replaced his predecessor. You can't replace him any more than you could any family member.
  • It's a very bad idea to surf the cat adoption pages at the local Humane Society website.
  • It's better to grieve awhile. Getting another cat right now is about as wise as joining eHarmony a week or so after the death of one's spouse.
  • Hopefully this will pass. I never went through pet grief like this the last time as Sammy fell into my lap about 3 days after we lost his predecessor.
  • I will eventually get a new pal. A house without a cat is a house without a soul.
  • I have got one heck of a lot of great memories.