Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Hurtin'

Blog Entries

Still Hurtin'

It's been over two weeks since Sammy the Watch Cat died and I'm still in the depression stage I believe. Haven't accepted it totally yet - I go outside and I'm so careful to open the door, expecting a furry gray missile to try passing me on his way out. I lie down on the couch expecting a big warm body to stretch out on me. I miss him terribly (although I don't miss giving the cat pills twice a day.)
    In trying to work through the problem, I had some grief therapy for a while as we did some cat-sitting for Maria's friend. I'm not sure if that solved anything though.
    What I have figured out:
    • There's no replacing Sammy, just as he never replaced his predecessor. You can't replace him any more than you could any family member.
    • It's a very bad idea to surf the cat adoption pages at the local Humane Society website.
    • It's better to grieve awhile. Getting another cat right now is about as wise as joining eHarmony a week or so after the death of one's spouse.
    • Hopefully this will pass. I never went through pet grief like this the last time as Sammy fell into my lap about 3 days after we lost his predecessor.
    • I will eventually get a new pal. A house without a cat is a house without a soul.
    • I have got one heck of a lot of great memories.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

2. Likes is that my watch, Samanator, Bwana liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post

There you go, you've cheered yourself up already just by writing your thoughts down

There's no replacing Sammy
    No, you'll get another to love in a completely different , but same, way

Give it time Mr Mac

4. Likes RayMac, geoffbot liked this post
    well I hope this makes you think of happier times

A kitten with a length of string
    Is such a pretty, playful thing.
    A kitten with a leaf to chase
    Exhibits beauty, form and grace.
    But I love kittens curled up, wise,
    With ancient mystery in their eyes

...Salvatore Marsiglia
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

6. Likes RayMac liked this post
    I have got one heck of a lot of great memories.
    That will never leave you, so remember the good times and enjoy all that he brought into your life.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I feel sorry for your loss...

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

Time Ray, time... The pain will fade some. The loss will not. But remembering the good times is a big help, they will eventually help fill the void. And knowing that Sammy is no longer suffering as well, that will help give you peace of mind.

It's not wrong to mourn. It's human. Best to you, hope the good memories soon overwhelm the sense of loss.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Sorry for the loss. I still have fond memories of all the pets I've had. I still expect to see my dog when I visit my parent's house even though he's been gone for many years. I don't think I could ever get used to living in a pet-free home. I hope you can find a new furry friend soon.

Cat people are a different breed, we have such high expectations of mankind...based on our relationship with our feline friends. They are so very smart, far smarter than dogs I'm afraid(sorry dog lovers) There are cats, and then there are cats...Sammy one one of those extraordinary furry friends, he knew when you wanted love, he felt when you wanted left alone. When you were troubled he wanted to sit with you and purr, just to let you know he was there....a simple friend, low maintenance, just a rub on the back and a kind word..that's all he needed. Those intelligent deep eyes, looking into our soul.....a squinting of the face and off for a nap he goes.

I've always had a cat in my life, since I was 10 years old. I've now owned 5 cats in all, the last friend that left was 22 years old...that was a hard day for me, I looked into his eyes and spoke to him till he was gone...then I cried, for a long time. I too was depressed, for about a week or so...but felt "off" for a while. Take your time, and then enrich your life with another...you will both need the love and attention.

The bond that takes place is there forever, and you shall meet again in a better world...one without pain or time.

Butch and I both wish Sammy a farewell, and you Ray our best wishes.

12. Likes ljb187, Seriously, geoffbot, JAGtime, Jeannie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    It's been over two weeks since Sammy the Watch Cat died and I'm still in the depression stage I believe. Haven't accepted it totally yet - I go outside and I'm so careful to open the door, expecting a furry gray missile to try passing me on his way out. I lie down on the couch expecting a big warm body to stretch out on me. I miss him terribly (although I don't miss giving the cat pills twice a day.)
    In trying to work through the problem, I had some grief therapy for a while as we did some cat-sitting for Maria's friend. I'm not sure if that solved anything though.
    What I have figured out:
    • There's no replacing Sammy, just as he never replaced his predecessor. You can't replace him any more than you could any family member.
    • It's a very bad idea to surf the cat adoption pages at the local Humane Society website.
    • It's better to grieve awhile. Getting another cat right now is about as wise as joining eHarmony a week or so after the death of one's spouse.
    • Hopefully this will pass. I never went through pet grief like this the last time as Sammy fell into my lap about 3 days after we lost his predecessor.
    • I will eventually get a new pal. A house without a cat is a house without a soul.
    Condolences Ray. I hope you don't mind, but here's shot of my wife with Mr. Smudge. It's not a great one but this was nearly every night for as long we were all together:

Name:  Smudge 4.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  40.1 KB

When we posted on Facebook that he'd gotten so sick we had to let him go my brother wrote "For a guy who was bumming on hand outs back in the Bronx (note: we became pals when he walked into my house on a bitterly cold City Island day), he sure turned out to have a pretty good life". It's true he had a good life...a really good life...I probably saved him...but guess who got the better of the deal? Eight years of incredible companionship, rituals, tricks and fun...Losing him was exceptionally tough, but you're absolutely right about memories: time heals...maybe not completely, but there's much to laugh about and continue to love. My wife and I still sing our little songs about him (we made up many, many songs) and nearly everyday think about how happy he made us. Even now - in a mostly good way - I'm a little teary writing this because he's worth it and I welcome the chances to remember him.
    Last edited by ljb187; May 30, 2015 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Edits cause it's tough to say things right.

14. Likes Seriously, RayMac liked this post
    I'm sorry, Ray. Here's my dog to maybe cheer you up a bit. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1432983727968.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  128.3 KB
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

16. Likes Bwana, ljb187 liked this post