Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mido Multifort Two Crowns diver - impressions

Mido Multifort Two Crowns diver - impressions

Got asked to do a small review of my new acquisition (the Mido Multifort two crowns diver) and thought I'd give it a go.

The brand:
    Some here probably known more about the brand than I do. But Mido, which was established in 1918 is one of the least talked about of the older brands under the Swatch umbrella. Read somewhere they produced the 4th most cosc certified watches not many years ago and are always in the top 10.
    Some of their notable firsts in the watch industry is the first automatic watch which was shock resistant, anti magnetic and water resistant. They created an unbreakable mainspring and also the first central-read chronograph.

Specs:
    Ref: M005.930.11.060.00
    Case size: 42.00 mm
    Case height: 11.75 mm
    Lug width: 22.00 mm
    L2L: 48-49 mm
    Dial: Black, vertical Geneva Stripes with Day/date
    Numerals: Arabic 12, then dotted hours
    Hour markers: Luminous
    Hands: Luminous
    Water resistance: 200 meters
    Strap: Stainless steel bracelet with folding clasp
    Crystal: flat sapphire, anti reflective on both sides
    Case back: transparent
    Movement: ETA 2836-2 (frequency: 28,800 vph)
    Case: brushed sides, rest polished.
    Crowns: both screw down. Crown at 2 for controlling internal bezel. At 4 for manual wind, quick set for day and date and setting time.

Impressions:
    This is my most high end purchase to date and getting the watch in my hands for the first time I could definitely notice the difference from some of my other pieces. Right of the bat it just feels substantial. It has a presence and weight to it but doesn't feel heavy. I'm a big guy with 8" wrists so the 42mm case is just in my sweet spot for this type of style. It wears quite large due to the inner bezel but the quite short lug to lug makes up for it. The 22 mm lugs are just right for it. And dual spring bar holes are a nice touch and makes it work also with thinner straps without too much of a gap.

When looking at the dial the first thing you see (and what lead me to the watch in the first place) is the anthracite dial with the Geneva stripe decoration. I just find it mesmerising, but then again I have a serious thing for textured dials. It's well executed and not something you see everyday.

The hour markers are lumed dots apart from the Arabic 12. The hour and minute hands are very legible and a good length. Also lumed. The second hand is steel with just the tip with orange accent. At 3 there is a day/date (German/English). Have read that the eta 2836-2 has an instantaneous date change but am yet to investigate myself. Both date and day has a quick set function.

The internal bezel is operated via the 2 o'clock crown. The action is smooth but the crown being screw down makes it a bit inconvenient. And also leads to my first negative. Don't know if it's just me not mastering the technique, but when screwing down the crown again it has a bit of give and makes the bezel turn ever so slightly, making it difficult to get the bezel in exactly the position you want . The first 15 minutes is orange and the rest is white. It's lumed, but in a different color than the hands which some find less than appealing but I kind of like it.

The lume is Superluminova and is bright enough and charges nicely. The lume on the hands and hour markers are turquoise with the bezel having more of a green shade. Don't have many watches with proper lume so for me this was quite the revelation. Just a short time of daylight (laying in the watch box in the morning) is enough to give a good glow when I step into the car in the garage. Have not tested how long it lasts though.

It came on a stainless steel bracelet with push pin adjustment. I've yet to size it correctly so can't really give an informed opinion on the quality. It feels sturdy enough though, with solid end links. The clasp is however not quite up to standard. Would've liked a push clasp and I think this construction might get a bit loose with lots of wear.

The movement is an ETA 2836-2. Automatic with hacking and hand winding. The rotor is engraved by Mido but don't know if other modifications have been made. Not timed the precision but in the 5 days it's been on my wrist it's within +/-30 sec.

I've tried a few different straps this far and would say it's quite versatile. The bracelet looks good, works on NATO, but my fav thus far is orange rubber. Perhaps not something you wear everyday but a good summer look. Have seen pics on leather nato and will try and source one 22mm to try.

Summary:
    The Multifort Two crowns diver definitely takes it cue from the recent trend of vintage looking super compressor style dive watches with internal bezels, but still manages to find its own look due to the dial decoration. It's really well finished and from a brand, although not often spoken about, with a lot of history.

There are many watches in this price range (~1000 euro) , but I believe it very much holds its own against the competition and it definitely is less common than some of the others. You just don't see many around, which was one of the things that attracted me to it.

Hope you enjoy the read and pics.

Nice one. Cool strap combos also.
    Cheers,

Richard

3. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    Cool watch; nice review
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

5. Likes meijlinder, JAGtime liked this post
    Nice watch and great review there- I really like it on the black rubber.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

7. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    That's a very handsome watch. It really does have a look if it's own and the straps you've paired it with are all great.

9. Likes meijlinder, JAGtime liked this post
    Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    Nice one. Cool strap combos also.
    One of the joys of a new watch. Trying on different shoes!
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Cool watch; nice review
    First go at a "proper" review. Interesting to try and actually put your thoughts on a watch into words.
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Nice watch and great review there- I really like it on the black rubber.
    The black rubber is actually a G.gerlach stamped strap. A bit thick for my liking, but look is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    That's a very handsome watch. It really does have a look if it's own and the straps you've paired it with are all great.
    Waiting to try leather as well, let's see if it works.

Mido is an under appreciated brand by many for sure and everything I've looked at, whether I've liked the looks or not, felt substantial and well built. Love your two crown diver! Congratulations on a great pick up!

My Mido was a gift from my bride and I love the 50s/60s look.

Name:  Mido2.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  63.7 KB

12. Likes meijlinder, Colin, JAGtime, iyonk, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Mido is an under appreciated brand by many for sure and everything I've looked at, whether I've liked the looks or not, felt substantial and well built. Love your two crown diver! Congratulations on a great pick up!

My Mido was a gift from my bride and I love the 50s/60s look.

Name:  Mido2.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  63.7 KB
    Nice Commander.

Did some research when I came across this Multifort and Mido sure have an interesting look to their collections. Can't say I like all of them, but at least they all stand out a bit.

14. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Very nice. That's on my hit list, too..... along with a fair few others
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

16. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    That's a really nice diver! And you did an excellent review! Thanks!

18. Likes meijlinder liked this post