Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Terrible Sky broadband speed

Terrible Sky broadband speed

We have had Sky BB for a while. First with the horrible white sr101 router then with the equally bad black sr102 version.
    We used to get around 10Mbps but recently it's dropped to anywhere between 2 and 4Mbps
    I swapped out the main socket faceplate for a VDSL one and used the existing extension upstairs to the router as a dedicated data line although it's not twisted pair.
    I've ordered a cat5e cable with RJ11 connectors to replace the std flat cable it came with and an external antenna kit to replace the internal things.
    I also want to shield the internal power supply as that must be chucking out some interference.
    All in all around £15 of bits.

IF that fails, has anyone used a different wifi router? I've read that sky t&c say you have to have the hub as the first item but you can put a newer better WiFi router onto it.

EDIT - I have tried changing channels already

Ever thought you might have an external line fault

My internet at home is fast enough for me, but I do know the line is bad enough to stop the landline in it's tracks (It's not worked for years), and yet my BB is still running. (I've told them again and again, )
    I think I've only got 1 side of the incoming pair intact (somewhere external to the house)
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

3. Likes ro63rto liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Ever thought you might have an external line fault

My internet at home is fast enough for me, but I do know the line is bad enough to stop the landline in it's tracks (It's not worked for years), and yet my BB is still running. (I've told them again and again, )
    I think I've only got 1 side of the incoming pair intact (somewhere external to the house)
    When we had the old sr101 hub we did get the line checked and as there were no faults they sent the newer sr102 out thinking it might be the problem.
    Haven't had the line checked since. I'll get them to check it again .
    The line was crackly up until I changed the socket for a VDSL one. Ssssshhhhh, BT don't know about that

Is Sky a major provider in the UK?

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Try a laptop via ethernet initially to rule out WiFi problems. If it's fast there then it's the WiFi. Otherwise it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Is Sky a major provider in the UK?
    Yep
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

7. Likes ro63rto liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    If it's fast there then it's the WiFi. Otherwise it's not

Name:  5D7FE60D-0F83-4C66-AEB2-531CA3AEB63B.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  31.9 KB

I’ve read somewhere you can log onto the router and effectively test the line for up and down and noise figures (which will tell you if the line is bad)
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

I’ve read somewhere you can log onto the router and effectively test the line for up and down and noise figures (which will tell you if the line is bad)
    Yeah I saw screenshots showing Line attenuation etc but when I logged in it showed nothing like that

I'll see if my brother's apple laptop has an Ethernet port. Have to check as apple keeps making the damned this thinner so keep removing stuff

10. Likes Seriously liked this post

Ok so I found the section where it gives those stats but I'm none the wiser

Explanation here:
    http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...explained.html

By the way your up time is very low , you’re not regularly switching the router off are you ?

(Speed tip, always leave a router on, otherwise the exchange shares your allocation with everyone else, and sort of forgets you’re even on the system )
    Last edited by Seriously; Nov 27, 2019 at 03:11 PM.
    Watches for SALE:

Explanation here:
    http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...explained.html

By the way your up time is very low , you’re not regularly switching the router off are you ?

(Speed tip, always leave a router on, otherwise the exchange shares your allocation with everyone else, and sort of forgets you’re even on the system )
    Thanks .
    I did turn it off when I replaced the flat rj11 cable with the better cat5e version as it failed to connect to internet first time round.