Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Affordable Watches That Get A Nod From Snobs

Top 10 Affordable Watches That Get A Nod From Snobs

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/top-10-a...-get-nod-snobs

Haven't heard of half of them, and there's no visodate...
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Suprised they didn't include a G Shock!

4. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I have heard of most of them. But I can't believe the Seven Friday is on there considering the response it gets on f2 and even f71 over at the old place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

6. Likes Imitation of Life, -JP, CFR liked this post
    I'm a bit surprised they showed the Blumo but wrote about the Sumo. Yeah, yeah, same watch but black vs. blue, but still. Got to make sure the topic/item matches the write-up, no?

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    ABTW's defenition of "affordable" is somewhat different than mine. I call a watch "affordable" when it's in the 100-500€ range....

Interesting. No surprises with the Monster being right up there, as it should be, but pleasantly surprised to see the Stop2Go there. Fascinating watch.

Expected a G-Shock of some description to have been featured.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

Affordable is a subjective term, but I'd say up to $500. You could make the argument that it goes up to $1000 but above $750 is a stretching the definition of the word affordable, IMO. I think the ultimate question is how much of a sacrifice it would be to spend, say, $800. It's basic economics: what would you give up (based upon your current obligations) in order to get what you want. Economics is simply the study of meeting limitless needs with your limited means/resources.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. Likes popoki nui liked this post

Top 10 Affordable Watches That Get A Nod From Snobs

Sistem 51, Really! The same goes for about 50% of the rest that most would never consider? In this case maybe four out of ten. Seiko yes but I think it is more the JDM models that have the cred. Orient 300 or divers defiantly, but I don't see the dress watches getting a great deal of time. Junghans Max Bill hell yes, and the Mondaine when I think about it is a yes. I'm on the fence about the Autodromo. The biggest misses here IMO are mostly German, those being Stowa, Nomos and Sinn. You could substitute several others like Rado, Squale, Hamilton...Lastly G-shocks are a cult on their own and nearly invented this concept. The omission is scandalous.
    Last edited by Samanator; May 31, 2015 at 06:10 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

14. Likes T Bone, popoki nui, gnuyork, CFR liked this post
    Okay, they say 10, but include 12 (#s 1-3 are the Seiko's listed at #1).

Affordable is a very subjective term anyway, and if you ask most "non-watch" people, I'll bet you'd get a number far closer to $300. Even that seems steep for a watch to lots of folk.

I don't know all the watches listed, but am I correct in presuming they were all mechanical and/or autos? That would explain the omission of the G Shocks as well as Citizens and the Seiko SSC017 (et al).

Anyway, a fun topic for us here, but it could be endlessly debated both on what indeed "gets the nod" as well as what is truly affordable (for many folk in the Patek leagues, a Rolex of almost any flavor is quite "affordable", even "low cost"). I doubt of 10 "snobs" you'd get an identical list of 10 watches. Pure hyperbole IMO.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

I don't know...considering what he's calling affordable this didn't seem to be much a challenge. Give me $500 and I'll come back with a list of 30 Seiko's alone...and he goes up to almost $2000 which enough to buy 200 Vostok Amphibias.

17. Likes I-B liked this post