Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Might this be worth repairing or restoring?

Blog Entries

Might this be worth repairing or restoring?

A friend of mine pulled this from some Trash. (I have no more detail than that.) He has said it's mine if I want it.

What do you think?

2. Likes Seriously, synequano liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Depends what is wrong with it. If one of the pivots of the balance wheel staff is broken, it will take finding someone with skills to replace it. If the mainspring is bound up, they are easy to replace. It's not a bad watch. With 17j, it is nicely jeweled. Too bad about the cracks on the dial. I am guessing it is a 18S hunting model, a model 2 from Hamilton. Looks like it was made sometime in 1917. Not particularly rare, but still a nice watch.

Can you tell what is wrong with it?

Dan

4. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Depends what is wrong with it. If one of the pivots of the balance wheel staff is broken, it will take finding someone with skills to replace it. If the mainspring is bound up, they are easy to replace. It's not a bad watch. With 17j, it is nicely jeweled. Too bad about the cracks on the dial. I am guessing it is a 18S hunting model, a model 2 from Hamilton. Looks like it was made sometime in 1917. Not particularly rare, but still a nice watch.

Can you tell what is wrong with it?

Dan
    I've not seen it it person yet. Said friend lives in another town. For sure it has a broken crystal and no crown.

I know a local watchmaker that I'm certain will be able to fix it, provided he can find parts. The problem I'll likely face is whether or not it'll be worth the time and money?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I've not seen it it person yet. Said friend lives in another town. For sure it has a broken crystal and no crown.

I know a local watchmaker that I'm certain will be able to fix it, provided he can find parts. The problem I'll likely face is whether or not it'll be worth the time and money?
    think what dan means is their looks to be a crack running down past the 12 on the 11 side down toward the pinion the damage on the crystal around the one and two is easy to replace the crystal the crown missing is no big deal if you got a good watch smith, as parts are fairly common in the usa so yeah never going to be hugely valuable and repairing it is going to be as much as it probably worth

BUT think of what a nice heirloom it would make for your new born well been around a while now but same thing and one they could play with too as no great lost if damaged I say go for it as nice detail to the movement the marks to dial are all age related think all in all be a shame not too
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

7. Likes Spooky liked this post
    It depends on your definition of 'worth'....
    To 'fix & flog' for a profit - Probably not; but...
    ... to restore as a 100+ year old timepiece - Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    If one of the pivots of the balance wheel staff is broken,...
    The balance wheel looks to be resting on the plate, so I think ^^^ that is a given. Unless (it's unlikely but not improbable, that) the wheel has slipped/been pushed down the staff.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

9. Likes Spooky liked this post
    I like the look of it, and it would be a nice thing to have, working or not.

I would probably have it fixed if it was a family piece. Aa a random watch that came into my possession? Probably not.

11. Likes Spooky liked this post
    looking in to it ..it's a Hamilton Watch Co. Lancaster PA Railroad Pocket Watch. This is a Model 1, Grade 924, Size 18 with a 17 Jewel movement. manufactured in 1912.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

13. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I like the look of it, and it would be a nice thing to have, working or not.
    These two things

More so with this in mind:
    He has said it's mine if I want it.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

15. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    looking in to it ..it's a Hamilton Watch Co. Lancaster PA Railroad Pocket Watch. This is a Model 1, Grade 924, Size 18 with a 17 Jewel movement. manufactured in 1912.
    Thank You!

my pleasure could be a few years either way but ones I looked at match up pretty well but dan thinks model 2 and fiver years later so would maybe go with him as it is more his area of knowledge so yeah worth it still in my books which ever of the two it is ..
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

18. Likes Spooky liked this post