Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Twelve Famous and Missing Watches

Twelve Famous and Missing Watches

While trying to find pics of the Eterna worn by Thor Heyerdahl on his 1947 KonTiki expedition, I came across this story of 12 famous missing watches. I knew Aldrin's, and not Armstrong's, Speedmaster was the one actually worn on the surface of the moon but I did not know Aldrins watch was missing- stolen or lost en route to the Smithsonian. Anyway, an interesting little read.

FYI, Heyerdahl and his crew all wore Eterna's and it appears that his watch is missing, too. Eterna produced the KonTiki in 1950 in tribute to Heyerdahl's voyage. The latest iteration is quite true to the 1958 version. I'm still looking for a pic of the Eterna worn by Heyerdahl on the KonTiki voyage; didn't expect it to be so hard.

1958:

Name:  1958.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  68.3 KB

2015:

Name:  51AsXvEm4nL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  9.7 KB

My preference:

Name:  eterna-kontiki-date-2009-watch.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  87.1 KB

-hayday
    Last edited by hayday; Jun 1, 2015 at 03:00 AM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. Likes Matt, jsw41 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    Mmmmmm .. quite a

OK, I admit it ... I've got Pablo's
    I should never have took it

4. Likes hayday liked this post
    The latest iteration is quite true to the 1958 version.
    2015:

Unfortunately, someone (in their infinite 'wisdom' !) decided to add a completely superfluous 'wonky' date window and totally ruin the look
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

6. Likes meijlinder, gnuyork liked this post
    I sort of agree with you on the date window. It's pretty small and blends in fairly well. No date would be my preference, followed by a date that stands out; maybe a pointer date. Still, it's a mighty nice looking watch that is a nice tribute to an earlier version.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

I had this one. Nice watch
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture69898-kontiki.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  31.8 KB

9. Likes hayday liked this post
    I have two Kon Tikis and love them both.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

11. Likes hayday liked this post
    Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I found this part of the story interesting:
    The first wristwatch in history is missing. Seriously. Breguet number 2639 hasn't been seen since a direct descendent of the Queen of Naples sent it for service back in 1855. I saw the original entry in the Breguet archives while visiting the Breguet museum in Paris, and it's worth a read here and a visit if you are ever in town. We can only assume the Hayek family is in pursuit of this watch.

And some people here get upset when it takes a few months for service.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

13. Likes wschofield3, hayday liked this post
    While trying to find pics of the Eterna worn by Thor Heyerdahl on his 1947 KonTiki expedition, I came across this story of 12 famous missing watches. I knew Aldrin's, and not Armstrong's, Speedmaster was the one actually worn on the surface of the moon but I did not know Aldrins watch was missing- stolen or lost en route to the Smithsonian. Anyway, an interesting little read.

FYI, Heyerdahl and his crew all wore Eterna's and it appears that his watch is missing, too. Eterna produced the KonTiki in 1950 in tribute to Heyerdahl's voyage. The latest iteration is quite true to the 1958 version. I'm still looking for a pic of the Eterna worn by Heyerdahl on the KonTiki voyage; didn't expect it to be so hard.

1958:

2015:

My preference:

-hayday
    Love the black/orange combo! The stitching on the strap is cool too.

BTW, Buzz was pissed beyond belief when his got lifted enroute to the Smithsonian and said that he never would have let it go if he had known how lax the security was. If you look at my quote in my sig from "the other place", that was a direct quote to me personally when I asked him that question. I had the privilege of sitting down with Buzz about 10 years ago and he was a super nice guy and answered all of my questions including how he felt about his misplaced watch.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Jun 1, 2015 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    The first wristwatch in history is missing. Seriously. Breguet number 2639 hasn't been seen since
    I didn't touch that one !!

Seriously !

16. Likes iyonk liked this post

1958:

2015:

My preference:

-hayday
    I just saw a picture of it the other day. Unfortunately I can't remember where. It looked nothing like any Kon Tiki ever.